Model Train Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice work. :appl: As "GNfan", I guess it's my job to know that the other existing Vulcan is rusting away at the same "train graveyard" in Oregon as the Great Northern steamer that was "stuffed and mounted" at the zoo in Seattle in my childhood. :(
I heard that the one in Oregon was sold.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
On Tuesday, we received a $5,000.00 donation from a local business owner, and this morning, our young project manager was heading to Strasburg to purchase the blue prints from the PA Railroad Museum. He is in the process of arranging transportation to Youngstown for the rebuild.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Congrats on the donation. :)

I suppose its possible that Wanamie 4 (the Vulcan Iron Works locomotive in Merrill, Oregon) has been sold, bur I couldn't find any mention of it. I followed the link you posted, and then googled "Merrill Oregon trains". The impression I get (from old posts on railfan message boards) is that there is a rather large "graveyard" of old railroad equipment there owned by a collector who would rather watch his collection rust away than sell any of it. :(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hopefully, the ball is rolling for the lokie project. There has been an interesting development that has changed the dynamic of the project; the HBPS board voted to turn the lokie project over to Ashley Borough. Their reasoning, the borough being the host municipality for the LSA Grant, (Local Share Account, state gambling revenue), the borough is considered by the state as the grant applicant, therefore the lokie after purchase with state funds is the property of the borough. In a perfect world, this would not be an issue, but in Ashley Borough, there is grave concern on my part and that some council members. As of my last discussion with the council president, the purchase agreement paperwork was in the borough solicitor's office for certification. This is one of the state mandated requirements for release of funds. The state holds all monies until the requirements are met. We, Matt Stegura and I are working closely with state representative Ed Pashinski who pushed for the grant approval, and whose father operated this locomotive. He gave us several guidelines, including written documentation on all aspects of the project. I requested this documentation from the borough council president, but that remains to be seen if the borough will comply. Representative Pashinski has also contacted a former owner of the lokie in New Jersey run by the state and now defunct, to acquire parts that still remain on the site where the it was kept. It was some type of preservation society similar to ours. Hopefully, politics will not rear its ugly head in this worthwhile endeavor.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is the latest update on the Lokie Project: After months of e mails, phone calls, meetings with the state representative, and borough council meetings, a down payment was finally sent to the proprietor in Michigan. Some council members were alleged to be quietly trying to derail the project, and recently a pro lokie councilman told me the mayor and borough manager are trying to thwart the efforts.
A location at Miners' Memorial Park has been selected and approved by the Huber Breaker Preservation Society Board. A recent trek through former CNJ yard has yielded more then enough ties to lay thirty feet of rail needed to place the lokie in the selected location. One hundred and twenty feet of rail has been unearthed, and bolts and splice plates removed, and are awaiting transport to the lokie site by a volunteer who owns a trucking company. We only need a thirty foot section for the lokie, so the remaining rails will be stored for use to move the lokie in and out of a pavilion that will be erected once the lokie is in place. A second grant has been applied for to crane the lokie in Michigan and Ashley, and for the pavilion. Once the rail is in place, arrangements will be made to transport the lokie back to Pa.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A big thank you to Gerry Maldonado, for donating 120 feet of rail for the lokie. And a big thank you to John Halliday and his team from John Halliday Trucking of Ashley, for volunteering his time, manpower and equipment to move the rail to Miners' Memorial Park. Last week, a small crew of HBPS members exposed and dismantled the rail, and today, it was safely and expeditiously moved to the park, and stored near the proposed site of the lokie. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any photos of the removal process, but I did get several of the off loading.

On Wednesday March 18th, we will be meeting to discuss reorganizing and renaming the society. Since preservation of the breaker is no longer the mission, it was recommended by board president George Lehman, that the society meet to discuss the changes of our mission, and the future of the society. He also strongly encouraged all members to recruit new members in order to keep the society moving forward. I would encourage anyone who has an interest in the Mining, Railroad and other industries of Ashley's storied past, to attend the meeting. we meet in the Earth Conservancy Building, (the former Blue Coal offices), at 101 S Main Street at 6:30 PM.

We are currently in the process of acquiring and transporting Wanamie number 9 steam lokie to Miners' memorial Park. The lokie was used at Wanamie and Loomis in Hanover Twp. to transfer mine cars from the slope to the processing facilities. We have completed several steps in the process, including securing grants to purchase and transport the lokie,
and acquisition of the rail. We have located a sufficient amount of ties, which is next on the list. A location has been proposed and approved, and preparation of the area will begin shortly. This will include leveling and compacting the site, and then laying the ties and rail.

Volunteers are always welcome, and can contact Don Kane Jr at 570 824 3499, or any member of the society.

Lokie Rail movement 001.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 002.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 003.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 004.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 005.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 006.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 007.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 008.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 009.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 010.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 011.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 012.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 013.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 014.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 015.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 016.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 017.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 018.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 019.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 020.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 021.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 022.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 023.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 024.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 025.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 026.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 027.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 028.jpg

Lokie Rail movement 029.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Hi Don, nice of the man to donate the heavy equipment and bring the rail there.
Is this lokie running, or do you have to fix that too?

Tell me, the next to the last picture ( and some of the other pictures) what is that mesh like stuff on the ground?
Is that something you lay down, then add rock over the top and it's purpose is to hold the rock in place better? Or is that a base for pouring concrete?

This pictures shows it,
Lokie Rail movement 026.jpg

Looking forward to your rebuild.
Wished I lived closer, I am about 3 hours from there.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ed,
That is a plastic honeycomb type grid, and just as you surmised, it gets laid down and interlocked, and then filled with gravel. It's a nice concept, but there are a few spots the have bubbled up, and I'm not sure what the fix is for that. The weeds are horrendous too!
The lokie is far from operational. It needs a full tear down and a new saddle tank fabricated. It is missing a lot of other parts too. Our goal is to get it operational at some point, but that will be a major expense. Once the lokie is place on the track, a pavilion will be built over it. The pavilion will be able to closed in to become an engine house, but that is well into the future as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Two of us from the society picked out 25 ties from a pile along the old CNJ line in Ashley. We had permission from Luzerne County Redevelopment Authority to take them. Fortunately, the pile is near the borough building, and the head of the road department brought the backhoe to sort the good ties and drag them to a more accessible location. We then used tie tongs and loaded 7 at a time into my trailer and drove them the short distance to the park, and staged them near the rails. No photos, as even if I had the camera, we were too busy dragging loading and unloading. The last 2 pics are the proposed site for the lokie.

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 001.jpg

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 002.jpg

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 003.jpg

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 004.jpg

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 007.jpg

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 008.jpg

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 005.jpg

Miners' Park Railroad Ties and Break In 3 17 2020 006.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
I used to pickup new ties and timber in the early 70's out of Virginia after I delivered our scenic RR material down in the Smokie's.
This is when they were creosoted. I hated them as they were plenty gooey, and even in the winter the yard was hot because of all the steam they used. The summer was worse. Plus you were always swatting fly's away. Seemed like they were there year round.
Plus being so slippery I had to keep a watchful eye on the load because no matter how tight you binded them down with the chains they would walk out the back from being so gooey. Plus all the chains got coated with the crap.
A lot of time all I could do is tighten the chains up some more and tack a red flag on the back.
And if you happened to get a little creosote on your skin it would burn like acid!

They give you some tie plates and joiner bars and spikes with them?

Your Lokie should fit nice on a lowboy trailer.
It can't be much larger then this locomotive?
That would fit on a drop deck trailer nice.

P9260032.jpg

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
The tie plates that are on many of the ties are for heavier mainline rail. We're using a lighter rail that was from a siding. Unless we can find the narrower tie plates, we'll just spike the rail directly to the ties.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts