Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to figure out this one. None of the obvious kit maker's...LaBelle, Red Ball, Ambroid, etc...have it. My guess is that it's actually scratchbuilt from a June 1960 Model Railroader magazine article. The span bolsters between the two trucks on either end are made of aluminum bar stock, a touch not normally found in kits. --No--I an NOT flipping the car on its side for a bottom view. The little bast...er...model is a beast to rerail, and took much blue language and tears to get it to stay on the track.

The load is probably the unfinished mortal remains of an early Woodland Scenics branchline water tank. It is only there for the necessary weight to keep the car on the track. I have a Scale Structures Ltd Iriquois steam roller...one of the early pewter ones that were so beautifully cast that I will use as a load on this car.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are the interior trucks slotted to allow lateral movement around curves?
They're actually on span bolsters...a bar of flat metal drilled on either end for the trucks and in the center to be attached to the car. This way both trucks swivel side to side as needed, depending on where they are in the curve.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
you mean there is a span bolster for the pair of trucks at each end (not a single bolster for the interior trucks)

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you mean there is a span bolster for the pair of trucks at each end (not a single bolster for the interior trucks)

You're really determined to get me to flip it on its side🤪, aren't you?

Bolster 2 is the way both ends of the car are set up.

And yes...it really is that big a PITA to set it on the rails...😁🤬

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i wonder if it's necessary for the bolster to pivot in the center. i think coupler alignment might be better if it pivoted closer to the coupler

thanks for posting the photo

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wonder if it's necessary for the bolster to pivot in the center. i think coupler alignment might be better if it pivoted closer to the coupler

thanks for posting the photo
You're welcome. You can see on my 20" curves that the sway is about 1/8" front to back on each bolster. The car tracks nicely with the added weight, but it was a bear to get it there. I'm pretty sure the original builder had an unspeakable vocabulary guiding him thru...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
It's a nice looking car. I think I have several of the Athearn variety and they have a more substantial looking flatbed. But this just looks older than the Athearn version in terms of when they were in actual use. Back then flatcar kits were hard to weight.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a nice looking car. I think I have several of the Athearn variety and they have a more substantial looking flatbed. But this just looks older than the Athearn version in terms of when they were in actual use. Back then flatcar kits were hard to weight.
Im thinking this will add the necessary weight...😉👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts