1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Southbound Modelworks
A challenging resin kit.

Circa 1950

I got this because... well just because.
I'm a caboose fan. Can't help myself.

When complete, this kit is much more detailed than any RTR model... hands down.
But it's at the upper limits of my ability at this point in my age bracket.

The steps alone are a challenge... fine laser cut pieces that must be folded on zig-zag bend lines.
Quality resin parts; two smoke jack options; Kadee 148's; Tahoe trucks; Tichy brake and window detail; scale wire grabs, railings, and ladders.

The prototypes were prevalent on the C&EI in the 1950's, and a few were used as backup sleepers on the SP "Camel" mail trains (fitted with extra bunks).
They have a unique window arrangement: three forward on one side, and two forward one aft on the other.

02Slopedcaboose~2.jpeg
10Slopedcaboose~2.jpeg
07Slopedcaboose~2.jpeg
09Slopedcaboose~2.jpeg
1594251654539_0_11Slopedcaboose~2.jpeg
0_12-2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Southbound Modelworks.
Finished model (their photo).
c&ei_009.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an 'advanced' kit.
Directions are 'okay', but could be better.
Not recommended for beginning modelers.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
a few were used as backup sleepers on the SP "Camel" mail trains (fitted with extra bunks).
That ^ got me to wondering about what the inside of cabeeses looked like when they were in service. I've been in some that have been gutted and outfitted with benches for "train rides", but...

Google "Inside of a caboose". Fascinating. And what people have done with them converting them into what I guess you would call "tiny homes" is amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's quite enough still to do, and paint detail is way down the road, but I'm not really sure how Southbound got the black/white dashed effect on the side handrails so well done.
It's obviously painted, but I'm not steady enough to replicate that.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
You could try a paint marker. I don't know if they are still made, ut Testors used to offer these years ago. They had a chisel tip on them and could be used for fine detail work or paint about a 3/16" line.

Or, spray them white and use a Sharpie to apply the dark bands.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You could try a paint marker.
Not a bad idea...
Home Depot has these acrylic markers.
I have the 4th from the right, that I use for dots of pigeon poop.
I'll give it a try, thanks.
posca-paint-brushes-083785-64_1000~3.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That ^ got me to wondering about what the inside of cabeeses looked like when they were in service.
The interiors of the few C&EI crummies that were converted for SP with five bunks had an electric heater, an icebox refrigerator, hotplate, conductor's radio, and a small restroom.
Very cramped.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
When complete, this kit is much more detailed than any RTR model... hands down
True in most cases......except for Trueline Trains cabooses, Rapido cabooses, the new Tandent caboose, Walthers Proto cabooses, and the soon coming Athearn bay window cabooses......in fact, that are now more highly detailed RTR cabooses being made than the usual standard detail ones.....

Just thought I’d mention that....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts