Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It must be ho announcement season. So here's something from Walthers.

Flip down to find maybe.

There's two of these

Just passing it along...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Beautiful train, but OHHHHHH...that price! I modeled the El Capitan with a mix of Detail Associates, Walthers, Athearn and Bachmann....plus a kitbashed IHC transition car. Probably not quite as elegant, but looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'd have to see it in person and at a discount. So I'm not their target buyer.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I bought the Walthers DeLuxe addition of the El Capitan. It was offered in 2012 and there were only 350 Deluxe sets. I ordered the day there were announced which was on a Friday and all 350 sets were gone in 45 hours. The set consisted of 9-cars.

Here is the description of the Deluxe cars as it appeared appears on the Walthers website:

Limited-Run Deluxe Edition El Capitan Train

For the most demanding modeler and collector, Walthers proudly introduces a Deluxe Edition El Capitan Train in HO! Limited to just 350 sets, the Deluxe Edition comes with nine cars to model a typical consist, including the standard Baggage, Railway Post Office and Baggage-Dorm Transition Car, plus six deluxe Hi-Level cars: 48-Seat Step-Down Coach, two 72-Seat Coaches, Diner, Lounge and 48-Seat Step-Down Coach w/Tail Sign that feature:

• Factory-Installed LED Interior Lighting -- works on DC or DCC
  • Factory-Installed Preiser Passengers -- Over 175 Figures Total!
  • Step-Down Coach with Lighted Drumhead Tail Sign
  • Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
(Cars will be shipped with random certificate numbers; sorry matching number sets not available.)

In addition to these extra features, a $58.00 value per car in materials alone, Deluxe Edition cars are ready to enjoy!

Sold only as a complete nine-car consist, Deluxe Edition cars with unique item numbers ship the same month as standard models. Each Deluxe Hi-Level is priced at $125.00 and will not be available from open stock; standard cars are priced as noted at walthers.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time I was able to score 3 more of the Deluxe coaches (all on ebay) which allows me to model the complete El Capitan set (shown below) as it presented by the Santa Fe Railroad in 1956.

F3/F7 A-B-B-A
Railway Post Office
Baggage
Baggage-Dormitory (transition car)
Hi-Level 68-Seat Step Down Chair Car
Hi-Level 72-Seat Chair Car
Hi-Level Diner
Hi-Level Lounge
Hi-Level 68-Seat Step Down Chair Car

Here are a couple of videos of my El Capitan on my layout.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
If they can sell out these sets in 45 hours, you won’t see them on discount....in fact, they’ll be even more on the secondary market, as they will be highly sought after.....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not marketed in my budget. That’s insane!!! I have a hard time paying $10 for an athearn car at the train show. That would be a very nice set but that’s A lot of money

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok those 2 vids, awesome ness. I particularly like the reflections. Not only on the train itself but on the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts