Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, do any of you have any views on how accurate / appropriate the Walthers HO Kit of a 2 road engine house is for an American steam period layout? I always thought these models were made in the USA but I believe they are German, so I'm wondering if this better represents a European shed than a US one.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
WHICH Walthers kit? 933-3007?

It is a fairly generic model which could be used anywhere. The round vent over the doors isn't terribly prototypical -- US ones tend to be rectangular -- but the rest of the model is generic enough to fit. European structures tend to have more "gingerbread" (details around the eaves and roof).

It is similar to a Heljan kit that I have, but as far as I know, all Walthers kits are made in China, not Germany. All the recent kits I've purchased are. There is some buying and selling of molds among manufacturers from time to time, so the same basic structure with some minor detail differences might have been sold by a German company at one time or another (or perhaps still is), but there is nothing about this structure that inherently screams "European". Brick construction was fairly standard in this country up until about WWII, after which corrugated metal siding or cement cinder blocks might have been used instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very helpful

Many thanks for the prompt reply - it's very helpful. BTW I usually model UK railways, but I'm making a small (ish) US layout as I've inherited a bunch of HO US diesels and steamers from my chums pop who passed away a year or so back - seems a shame to leave em in the boxes.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
I've seen this kit on a few detailed layouts, and it looks outstanding, weathered or not.
It has three features that are interesting...
1.) It's longer than most two stall kits, so almost anything will fit inside it.
2.) It has 'swingable' doors, so they can be positioned how you want.
3.) It can be easily set up with a through-track, to enable more flexibility (i.e., a backout to an ash pit or a fueling rack).

I'm tempted to use it on my layout.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

And yes it is 3007 - many thanks for the extra information.. I've just ordered one from the US. About 2 weeks to arrive - so time to be patient now...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts