Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
So I have a Walthers Mainline Norfolk Southern ES44AC that’s giving me issues. Whenever I run it, it stops for no reason. I tried putting it on a long line of straight track, and it did fine. I then made a long oval. It did fine on the straights, then it hit the curve and did fine, but as soon as it hit the next straight track it stopped. It was weird because the straight track it hit when it stopped was the terminal track (I use bachmann ez track). I cleaned all of my track and tried the process again, and it did the same thing in the same spot. It seems to do it after hitting a curve, but I don’t know why, as it was working properly about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone had the same problem? Please let me know how to fix this, if possible.

Thanks,
LR

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Have you popped the shell and had a look inside? Sounds like something in the curve is causing power pickup to fail. Maybe a loose wire or damaged wiper for power pickup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you popped the shell and had a look inside? Sounds like something in the curve is causing power pickup to fail. Maybe a loose wire or damaged wiper for power pickup.
yes, I have the shell off the locomotive now. I don’t see anything wrong. All the wires are in their spots, so I don’t know what else it could be. And what did you mean by “damaged wiper”.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
A wiper is the electrical pickup, commonly a thin copper strip, that is either riding on the back of the wheel or on top of the flange or bearing surface of the wheel.

If these are bent out of position, the wheel can lose contact with the pickup strip (wiper) depending upon where the locomotive is on the track. IE, curve or straight.

The wheel and axle assembly can shift a bit in their saddles as they round a curve and then exit. Along with a bent wiper, this can cause contact between the two to be lost.

It doesn't help at all if there is dirt, oxidation, or foreign matter on the wiper or wheel further reducing contact between the wheel and the wiper.

When I perform a full cleaning after 40 hours or so of running, the wheels are removed, cleaned and polished, and then the wipers on the contact area are also carefully cleaned. The wipers are also tensioned so they maintain good contact with the wheel surface, and then the truck is re-assembled.

·
Registered
792 Posts
When it stops, will it start again if you "cycle the power" to the track?

I'm wondering if something on the trucks could be hitting the frame, resulting in a quick "short" that stops the engine?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Is your power supply shorting out when that happens?
If you can run two locos apart from each other, and the one stops while the other keeps running, that should tell ya if its a short or just a drop in power to the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts