Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I operate only DC on my home layout, the club I run at is of course DCC. I need a locomotive that could handle a decent size train. Mt Atlas Gold RS-1 with DCC and sound was lucky to pull 10 cars around the layout with its two and a half percent grades.

After reading the product review, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Northern Pacific set. Got a good deal through an internet retailer. Retails for $369 and I got the pair for $259. Both units are powered and have sound. They do lack some of the details that some more expensive models have, but I can add these in the future. One thing I like is how close the units couple to each other.

These are real work horses. I have a two and a half percent grade on my home layout and the F-7's can handle 30 on it without breaking a sweat. Some of the DCC locomotives I have can be quite finicky running on DC, but not these guys. Extremely smooth and no problems at all on DC.

Here's a short video taken that the top of the two and a half percent grade on my layout.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
...They do lack some of the details that some more expensive models have, but I can add these in the future. One thing I like is how close the units couple to each other.
:thumbsup:

Add?
more handrails, roof cab hood?
windshield wipers?
window shades?
rear view mirrors?

Post up a picture of one of your other F7's with more detail please and TY.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumbsup:

Add?
more handrails, roof cab hood?
windshield wipers?
window shades?
rear view mirrors?

Post up a picture of one of your other F7's with more detail please and TY.
Here is a Stewart/Bowser F-9.

It had less details than the Walthers. It didn't even have a road number. I chose 7012A because I happened to see it on the day it left the BN shops in Livingston, MT to the west coast. 7012A now runs on the Mount Rainier Scenic Railway. The handrails on the Walthers F-7 are fine. The northern Pacific had winterization hatches which is over the rear roof fan. I added the firecracker antenna on the rood and the 5 chime Leslie horn on this model. The twin horns on the Walthers model is correct. MU hoses were added as well as lifting lugs on the nose. The Walthers unit does have an interior so an engineer and fireman will be assed as well as sun shades.

Here is an old Atheran Blue Box F-7 that started out as an undecorated model. This locomotive was done over 30 years ago so it does show some wear. Here handrails, MU hoses, spark arrestors, winterization hatch, wipers, and grab irons on the right side of the hood were also added. The unit was remotored with a can motor and constant lighting was installed. The class lights are also lit using fiber optics. Alll custom painter using Microscale decals.

I really can't complain much about the details. Unfortunately, many people won't even notice the finer details. I am just happy to be able to fine some Northern Pacific locomotives for the transition era. For the size of the Northern Pacific there are very few offerings available in ho scale compared to other railroads.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, those are all my freight cars. Many of them are over 30 years old, Mostly Athearn blue box kits. I try to weather all of my rolling stock before putting them on the layout, but there were a couple of new ones in the train that I haven't gotten around to. With a little bit of weathering, it's hard to pick out the highly detailed Kadee cars when running together in a train.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts