Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Newbie here. I have a small collection of O-gauge model trains & track that belonged to my grandfather who died around 1950 so I'm guessing these items go back to the 1930s or 40s. I've tried searching for this stuff on eBay and Google with little to no luck. Hoping for some feedback from this community about what exactly I have (description, manufacture year, model numbers, etc.), if it's worth anything or not, and how best to sell or dispose.

Here's what I have:

• Three (3) Walthers Models Pullman passenger cars labeled "Federal Hall", "Lake Champlaine" and "Golden Horn"

• One (1) Walters Models Union Pacific baggage car labeled "United States Mail Railway Post Office".

• Three (3) Rail Craft Models (I think) freight cars labelled "Santa Fe A.T.S.F. 4176 Express", "Rock Island R.I. 20060" and "Chicago and North Western 65149".

• Thirty (30) pieces of Tru-Scale track, including 14 straight pieces, 14 curved pieces and 2 split pieces.

The Walthers cars are not in perfect condition. Portions of the decals have worn off and most of the accordion-style connectors have broken off as they are/were extremely brittle. Also, the carriages underneath are rather wobbly and the baggage car is missing one of the wooden vents on top.

Two of the Rail Craft (?) cars look fine. However, the third one (C&NW) is missing its wheels.

The wood track is stamped on the back. It says "O Gauge, Genuine Tru-Scale Tie Plate Roadbed HO, OO and O Gauges, Patent Pending". Some of the pieces have a stamped code: e.g. "SB6" on the split track and "60R" on of a curved track piece.

Hope this is helpful to facilitate feedback. Please let me know if you have any questions!

- John W.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Cool stuff here. Walthers made the passenger car kits though the '60s but judging by the boxes these are likely early '50s or older. I made few in HO back then and wished someone still offered them.
Most here are into three rail and these would appeal more to a two railer who might put a higher value on them. Depending on the brand/detail on the trucks would put a value of $25-35 on the passenger cars (more if the condition was better) and maybe 20 bucks on the freight cars. No idea what the track is worth.

Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pete. Is there another website you would recommend for gauging interest in my 2-rail O scale items?

- John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts