Model Train Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Use the snap switch terminals. Not the pins on the card.

NO is normally off, NC is normally closed, or on. Wire like you would any other switch, but keep in mind the position of the points as you wire so the correct color will be lit depending upon the point position.

The switch machine has nothing to do with wiring the signal lights other than operating the snap switches when the point position changes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am not using Atlas Snap Switches! I have only PECO turnouts. They do not have terminals on the turnout (do they). I have just returned to HO model railroading after a 40 year absents so please forgive me if I say something incorrectly. Are there terminals on PECO switches that I am missing?? Can I still connect the lights to the PECO turnouts using the Walthers machines?? Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
As Michael attested, he uses the solder points above(the NC,NO, etc). I simply have 5 of the extensions(along with tons of JR type rc servo connectors, which is all they are) so I simply plugged the corresponding color coded end, into the fascia control on the right(see my picture above), and for the other end, I simply wired to make sure when the turnout was in the open position, it was the correct corresponding color(on my signals, they can actually be swapped to make sure I have the correct color I need). And because the wires are so small in gage, I was able to push the wire from the signal in to test the corresponding colors.

It wad actually much simpler, and easier than I originally had thought, and feared. It took maybe 20 minutes to set it all up. These honestly make it very easy..

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am not using Atlas Snap Switches! I have only PECO turnouts. They do not have terminals on the turnout (do they). I have just returned to HO model railroading after a 40 year absents so please forgive me if I say something incorrectly. Are there terminals on PECO switches that I am missing?? Can I still connect the lights to the PECO turnouts using the Walthers machines?? Thanks
I'm talking about the snap switches attached to the Walthers turnout machine circuit card.

Forget the turnout. Wiring the signals using the snap switches has nothing to do with the turnout. Forget about it.

This is a lever-actuated snap switch:

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK
! Now I understand.. Thanks Michael and MatroxD.... Since I am using the fascia pins on the switch machine (I have the control buttons on my panel) I will use the NC and NO terminals on the switch machine as Michael suggested. Sorry Michael for the misunderstanding about the "snap switch". In my experience from long ago, Atlas turnouts were called snap switches... hence my confusion. I now understand you were refering to the micro switches on the Walthers machine.... sorry. Thanks again for your help... JOHN

·
Registered
3 Posts
As Michael attested, he uses the solder points above(the NC,NO, etc). I simply have 5 of the extensions(along with tons of JR type rc servo connectors, which is all they are) so I simply plugged the corresponding color coded end, into the fascia control on the right(see my picture above), and for the other end, I simply wired to make sure when the turnout was in the open position, it was the correct corresponding color(on my signals, they can actually be swapped to make sure I have the correct color I need). And because the wires are so small in gage, I was able to push the wire from the signal in to test the corresponding colors.

It wad actually much simpler, and easier than I originally had thought, and feared. It took maybe 20 minutes to set it all up. These honestly make it very easy..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've purchased some of the Walthers switch control machines. Trying to make my own wiring harness but am having problem finding a 3 pin female wire connector that can be plugged into the control board. Spacing of pins are at 2mm. See a lot of connectors at 2.54mm. You said that you have tons of JR type rc servo connectors (that work with the Walthers pin spacing?). If they do work, who makes them and where can I purchase them on internet? Thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've purchased some of the Walthers switch control machines. Trying to make my own wiring harness but am having problem finding a 3 pin female wire connector that can be plugged into the control board. Spacing of pins are at 2mm. See a lot of connectors at 2.54mm. You said that you have tons of JR type rc servo connectors (that work with the Walthers pin spacing?). If they do work, who makes them and where can I purchase them on internet? Thanks for reading my post.
I have Spektrum and JR servo extensions, and yes, they do plug into the pins. I suppose you could just search(Google) Spektrum servo extensions.

I purchased my from my local hobby shop, as they come under various mfg names. But you could check Amazon also..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Spektrum and JR servo extensions, and yes, they do plug into the pins. I suppose you could just search(Google) Spektrum servo extensions.

I purchased my from my local hobby shop, as they come under various mfg names. But you could check Amazon also..

Thanks. After reading your email, I remeasured the pin spacing.....it's 2.54mm which made it easier for me to find the female 3 pin connectors to buy. Thanks again.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts