Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

It seems I have the worst luck in the world when it comes to buying new locomotives. I just got a Walthers Mainline SD70ACe in UP paint. I opened it up and gave it a test run, only to find out that when it hits both an 18 inch curve and a 22 inch curve, the front truck derails. I noticed that on my Norfolk Southern SD70ACe (which is also made by Walthers Mainline), the trucks seemed to move around very loosely, which is how they're supposed to be, as every Walthers Mainline locomotive I own has this feature. On the UP SD70ACe, the front trucks feel a little bit tighter than the rear trucks. The rear trucks move very loosely, while the front trucks feel tight and don't move as much as the rear trucks. What could be wrong with it? Do I just need to loosen a screw on the inside or do I have to send it to Walthers and have them take a look at it?

Thanks,
LR

·
Registered
919 Posts
Have you tried removing the shell to see how the trucks are connected? On some Bachmanns I have, there is a single screw at the top of each truck that adjusts the tightness/looseness of them.
Just a thought as I have no idea if the Walthers units are like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried removing the shell to see how the trucks are connected? On some Bachmanns I have, there is a single screw at the top of each truck that adjusts the tightness/looseness of them.
Just a thought as I have no idea if the Walthers units are like this.
I had the same thought, I just wanted to make sure I’m making the right choice because I wasn’t sure whether to keep it and toy around with it or send it to Walthers

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is interesting, as I had removed the shell off a sd70 Walthers UP diesel yesterday. I installed a dcc decoder. I was surprised as it required a 8 pin decoder, instead of a 21 pin decoder. I figure this was older stock, that I purchased from Hiawatha Hobbies. I have many mainline locos, but I was disappointed with its performance, it ran slow. It did improve as it ran, but still not like it should be. The truck is not screwed in. But the wires from the left side/right side pickup, and the ditch lights run right beside the truck, and could be hanging up on the truck...cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is interesting, as I had removed the shell off a sd70 Walthers UP diesel yesterday. I installed a dcc decoder. I was surprised as it required a 8 pin decoder, instead of a 21 pin decoder. I figure this was older stock, that I purchased from Hiawatha Hobbies. I have many mainline locos, but I was disappointed with its performance, it ran slow. It did improve as it ran, but still not like it should be. The truck is not screwed in. But the wires from the left side/right side pickup, and the ditch lights run right beside the truck, and could be hanging up on the truck...cheers
I took the shell off the locomotive and found that all the wires were bunched up on the left side, bound with tape, and are preventing the front truck from turning.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Nice neat tightly tied wire bundles are great for making sure the wire does not break at a solder joint, but when something needs to be freely moving it's often not the best solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m just not sure what to do. I can’t move the wires because if i put them on top of the truck, they’ll get crushed by the cab and I risk the cab breaking

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Take a picture. When you say "bundled" is this because the cables are long and their just bundled up to get them "Out of the way"? Can you shorten them? A picture would help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The second photo is what I have as well, but that first photo has “heavy” wiring. I guess you have 2 options, use 30 gauge wiring (typical wiring size for dcc), or modify the underside of the cab with a Dremel. Neither option is enjoyable. Good luck....

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
can't u split the bunch and run half on each side, or bunch them up on top by the boards between the screw posts. I'd for sure cut the tape and run the loco without the shell to get a better look at what needs to be done.
Is there room for the wires to run above the truck?

·
Registered
621 Posts
No great shakes, but bundled and bound wires are called a wiring harness..All autos and other vehicles have wiring harnesses..This might make these discussions a tad easier...alla: "try splitting the (wiring) harness to get......"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can't u split the bunch and run half on each side, or bunch them up on top by the boards between the screw posts. I'd for sure cut the tape and run the loco without the shell to get a better look at what needs to be done.
Is there room for the wires to run above the truck?
i wouldn’t know how the wires would stay in place if I did do that. If you can tell me how I would make them stay in place, I will give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also forgot to mention that the UP locomotive has a nose headlight, unlike the NS locomotive, which has the headlight by the numberboards

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
i wouldn’t know how the wires would stay in place if I did do that. If you can tell me how I would make them stay in place, I will give it a try.
That's kind of the point. You need to see what play the truck wants to have in the wires so you can have a better idea how to fix the problem. Let them hang there and see how they want to behave without the artificial constraint of the tape and the shell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's kind of the point. You need to see what play the truck wants to have in the wires so you can have a better idea how to fix the problem. Let them hang there and see how they want to behave without the artificial constraint of the tape and the shell.
OK, I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think "bundle" better exemplifies what this is rather that a "wiring harness" as shown in the 2nd photo! I like the suggestion of rewiring with higher gauge wire and separating the harness. Not only are the wires way to heavy, their too long and the excess "bundled" up making things even worse! Great picture - thanks - makes it easy to see the problem. If your not up to it, hopefully you can find a volunteer near you. I assume your not in Florida!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lemonhawk..I only mean that, circuit wire bound together is a wiring harness, not whether OP should or shouldn't do that, run them that way...It's just an industry label. These loco/s come with wires in a harness...Datz all...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a athearn genesis electromotive demonstrator that does the same thing while the other 4 A/G's work fine, I will remove the shell and check for the same problem. Thanks guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, good news. I fixed the locomotive. All I did was tape the highest part of that wiring to the part where the nose headlight is (not blocking the light) with electrical tape, and it immediately solved the problem. i tested it and it ran perfectly. I will just have to change the tape every once in a while. Thank you guys for all your help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts