Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
That would be my guess, too: just press it back on.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Then you will have to remove the tank to apply opposite force on the pin to seat the truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't you think with a split pin that it just pushes on until it snaps into place?
The pin moves up and down. Have you had experience pulls these tank cars apart? I tried and nothing moves with moderate pressure. I feel like I apply more pressure Iran will brake

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then you will have to remove the tank to apply opposite force on the pin to seat the truck.
Have you had experience pulling these tank cars apart. I haven’t and would like to know if there any tools or techniques to pull them apart. I’ve put pressure on the tank part and frame but with moderate pressure nothing moves. I feel like it’s going to brake if I apply more pressure.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Dude! Chill... it's a message board, not online chat. You have to give people a fighting chance to respond. Posting essentially the same thing 3 times in a row isn't helping. If you need to edit your posts, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the post, select "Edit" and add to or correct your original post.

To address your issue, the truck should be able to wobble when properly mounted, but I don't think it should have that much up and down play. I don't have that particular model, but none of my cars have a king post that moves up and down like that. Can you slide the blade of a hobby knife between the tank and the car frame to hold the king post in place? Patience is going to be key in solving this. You should be able to figure out how the tank is attached... most likely a couple of plastic clips, but there may also be some dabs of glue to remove.

Some other methods that might work: hold the king post with tweezers or needle nosed pliers while installing the truck, or reach tweezers through the hole in the truck above one of the axles and hold it steady.

Something else to consider. It may have been dropped and damaged. If it's new, call or e-mail Walthers and ask about warranty coverage.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm wondering if the pin could be replaced with a screw of the appropriate size and length...?
It definitely could. I know a number of fans of older model trains who replace various friction pin (split head and press fit) attachment mechanisms with screws. Sometimes you need to fill and drill a new hole, sometimes, you can just find a screw that fits the existing hole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts