Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I appreciate that videos are the way of the future, but 13 minutes to unbox 5 pieces of rolling stock? Sorry can't do it. A couple pictures and 3-5 sentences would give me all I need to know.

Anyway, tech-whining over. I'll tell you what I can.

I see a Bachman(Lionel?) BN GP30 with damaged rails, a Mehano/AHM Bicentenial GP18, a water tower and a few pieces of rolling stock.

Was it a good deal? I'd say that if either loco runs, then you got a good deal. If both locos are 8wd (I suspect the GP18 is and the GP30 is not) then you got a great deal. Even if nothing runs, you at least got an ok deal, about what you'd pay at a train show, depending on what shipping was.

That GP30 body is one of the longest used loco models. Kader made it for Lionel's HO line (it was in a commercial with Johnny Cash!), then it bcame Bachmann (both with the pancake motor). The tooling was updated a bit and it entered the "Spectrum" line in the late 80's. It is still in production today as part of Bachmann's base level locomotive line. I have one of these early pancake motor (single truck power, motor intergral to the truck) verisons and it runs all right but I'll probably either sell it or convert it to a dummy. I have a Spectrum and a more recent versions and they're quite good, having somewhat improved detail, nice drives and more accurate paint jobs.
More info on the model here:

The Mehano (AHM/IHC/Bachmann/etc) GP18 is a pretty good model for the time. Not sure but I think there were 4wd and 8wd versions. I've got a couple of the 8wd and they're generally good runners. I'd love to get the Amtrak version someday.
More info on it here: AHM EMD GP18 - HO-Scale Trains Resource

The Overton style passenger car might be a bit of an exception. Some of those have value some are cheap as chips. You might put it on ebay and get a big portion of your cost back. Or you might not.

Lastly, the water tower is the sort of model you can get for a couple bucks at trains shows, but it's also a great piece to put on top of old buildings.

Best of luck with them. Old trains are fun!

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
ATT, video is NOT the wave of the future. It's just another visual medium. It's not always the best one to use, either. Like now. Still pictures would have been a much better way to show what you got, and less fatiguing to look at. Pictures and prose can be studied at leisure, but only take seconds to review... not so much with video, where you pretty much have to watch the whole thing. Be considerate of your audience's time, and use the most efficient means of communication.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
Great video, it was a thriller.......it had mystery, drama, suspense , and a little humor added in.
It was killing me waiting to see what each bubble wrapped bundle held. :)
$23 bucks? Good deal. (y)

·
Registered
616 Posts
We needed not all the unboxing/wrapping..Could have put them all out an a table and asked same question....
And my response is, whether or not you got a good deal, they all have the old, archaic, unrealistic horn-hook couplers.Any more trains you buy either will have to have the same..And the items are not worth the effort and cost it would take to convert them to knuckle couplers (Kadee, McHenry).The diesels are analog DC controlled motors..If you went to DCC control in the future, you'd have to either install decoders in them or mothball them and buy DCC equipped locos..
For me, personally, soon as I saw the 1950's designed horn-hook couplers, I would have skipped right over the deal....
Sorry. You asked... 🛤🌄🛤🌵

·
Registered
775 Posts
Going to disagree with telltale a bit. Yes, no doubt they are older and cruder than modern stuff, but swapping to KD's is generally an easy task. If you have any trouble doing so, let me know and I'll help you out.

I've converted plenty of old trains to KD's. Even old truck-mounted couplers.

A KD #148 (sometimes with a #212 talgo adaptor for some rolling stock) will solve most of your Horn-Hook swap problems.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Eilif, correct or not, I don't think this young man is going to be R&Ring couplers any time soon.. and swapping couplers is not all fun and thrills.. It can be really frustrating and tedious..Maybe changing shank lengths between two of the same type coupler. But horn hook to knuckle is no cake walk...

·
Registered
225 Posts
$23 sounds like a fair deal, considering what you get.👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts