Model Train Forum banner

Wave

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LauraDaXplora 
#1 ·
Hiya,

My name is Laura, and I'm from Australia. I'm almost 50, and now that my body isn't really handling the physical sports, and dancing anymore thought I would look into trains.

I've never really been involved in them in the past, but I love the mental aspect of the hobby. I tend to like all kinds of wizardry, and after a false start with DCC++EX, my loco is now working thanks to the amazing people who support it.

So things like computer controlled turnouts, lights, crossings etc are things I'm going to enjoy. Though then again, I like the feeling of switching the turnouts manually as well.

I bought a fair amount second hand, and the turnout/switches I got a pretty ummmm, useless? So at this stage only running an ingelnook layout.

My plan is to create a 14 foot by 2 feet layout along one wall, and then 6~10 feet (depending if I cover a door or not), around 2 feet down the other wall. I am questioning about having a loop, which would mean taking the track out to 4 feet at each end, but that's a way off before I focus on that aspect of it.

I'm not rushing it, my partner will be dealing with the scenery once I've got my mind sorted on layout, and industries, though leaning towards farmland down one side, and then going to a town at the other end. But who knows.

Anyway, that is me, lovely to meet you all.

See less See more
#3 ·
A big welcome Laura...

We've had several members from Australia and look forward to what
we can do to help you enjoy your new hobby.

I'm a little unsure of what you plan but I would encourage you to consider
an ability to have continuous running trains...in addition to a yard and
several spurs to serve rail freight users. (since you have DCC, you can
operate a single track main with passing sidings that permit you to run
one train clockwise, as another goes counter clockwise) If you do go this way, you'll
want to have at least 5 ft width where your 'loops' would be. That would
enable 22 and 26 inch radius curves which are necessary if you run
the large 6 axle diesels or large steamers.

By the way, I'm a big fan of the very extensive Melbourne tram
system. It seems every line has a driver view Youtube video that
shows what a beautiful city Melbourne is.

Don

#4 ·
Thanks, I have wondered about trying to get a loop on for running, but I'm still not really sold on it yet, but as everything is still fluid while figure out what I really want to do I haven't ruled it out either.

Melbourne is lovely, I hope to get back there this year if we stop closing our borders to everyone (WA shuts borders at the sniff of a community case of the rona).

Thanks for the warm welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.