Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Administrator
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's all going to take time to get used to, but one thing I'm not a fan of is the need to click a button to see the full signature on a members post. It seems to defeat the purpose of having a signature since many people link their personal YouTube page and such there. I'm far less likely to venture off to a link like that if it's not right there in front of me. Another example is your "Need admin assistance?" link. I wouldn't have really noticed it was there had I not clicked the show signature button.
You don't have to click the button every time. It is 100% up to you if you see no signature, full signature or a partial signature with the option to click to view.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
There's actually not really a lot for me to get used to. Two other forums I'm on

already use this platform, so I'm kind of used to it.
It is a LOT easier to post pics on this platform.
010.JPG

and get them inline in your post than it was on the old platform.
Videos, too:

Me thinks me likes it.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
We have no friends list anymore?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The first issue I've noticed is that it seems to have forgotten which messages I've already read? Every conversation I've taken part in is now starting at the first message instead of taking me to the latest unread messages.

And what is the configuration in this new setup for message placeholders? Does it now remember each conversation individually, or is it still like the previous software that only remembered 'new' messages based on the last time you logged in to the site?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
It's all going to take time to get used to, but one thing I'm not a fan of is the need to click a button to see the full signature on a members post. It seems to defeat the purpose of having a signature since many people link their personal YouTube page and such there. I'm far less likely to venture off to a link like that if it's not right there in front of me. Another example is your "Need admin assistance?" link. I wouldn't have really noticed it was there had I not clicked the show signature button.
The full signatures show up all time if you go into your preferences and select that option.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I do like dark mode... much easier on the eyes.

It does seem to load faster as well. A welcome update.

For the rest, I don't know. It seems a lot like change for change's sake, which isn't going to play so well with the main demographic here (grumpy old men). I'll keep poking around and see if it grows on me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
i
I do like dark mode... much easier on the eyes.

It does seem to load faster as well. A welcome update.

For the rest, I don't know. It seems a lot like change for change's sake, which isn't going to play so well with the main demographic here (grumpy old men). I'll keep poking around and see if it grows on me.
I think dark mode is the only good thing.........

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If you click on this graphic at the top of every thread, it'll take you to the latest posts.
View attachment 539607
Then why, when you hover over any thread in the forum list, does every URL end with /unread/ ? It gives the impression that clicking on the thread is going to take me to the latest "unread" messages. So you're saying now we have to make two clicks to get to the latest messages, and then back click twice to get back to the forum list?

·
Administrator
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Then why, when you hover over any thread in the forum list, does every URL end with /unread/ ? It gives the impression that clicking on the thread is going to take me to the latest "unread" messages. So you're saying now we have to make two clicks to get to the latest messages, and then back click twice to get back to the forum list?
The default for NEW is unread posts. Clicking the title of a thread should take you to the 1st unread post. That being said it can take a day or two to catch up. Some members choose to mark all threads as read to start fresh.

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

- Cricket

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
Yeah, I found it later on thanks.
I see that Snowblower forum will be the same.
I am slowly getting used to it.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
I guess there is no way to change the text color ? I tried in the light mode and the dark.
My signature used to be a different color in either mode, now that is gone too?
Unless I inadvertently clicked a change somewhere?

·
Administrator
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, I found it later on thanks.
I see that Snowblower forum will be the same.
I am slowly getting used to it.
I guess there is no way to change the text color ? I tried in the light mode and the dark.
My signature used to be a different color in either mode, now that is gone too?
Unless I inadvertently clicked a change somewhere?
At this time the developers started with a basic text editor with no options for font colors. One of the challenges with font colors is being able to make sure the colors are readable within both the dark and light mode.

- Cricket

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
When we first switched my signature was showing different colors? So I guess they did this after the startup.
The blue in mine was kind of hard to read in dark, so I tried to change it, I also tried to add my little animated locomotive I had and couldn't .
I guess that has something to do with the 4 lines allowed for the signature?
OK, Thanks

21 - 40 of 119 Posts