Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Exactly.

I would have mentioned it myself but I've ranted enough about their new ad platform that happens to include a forum.

They must think we're all a bunch of idiots.

·
Administrator
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Push Notifications

The community offers push notifications if your browser's permissions allow it. You may see a popup in the community allowing you to enable these permissions for the site.

You can also enable/disable push notifications by clicking on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Account Settings” from the drop-down menu.

You will now see left side navigation. Select “Preferences”.

Scroll down to Push Notifications to set your preferences.

Enabling push notifications will enable them for this device only. If you log out of this device, you will need to re-enable push notifications.

The option is 100% yours.

- Cricket

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
If you click on a thumbnail, you can page through the photos in a post. But you also get to page thru every single photo on the thread. For example, on Spences insulation thread, click on any photo from the first post and if you keep going, you also get a photo of a tube of adhesive he posted the next day. Not sure if that’s a glitch or intentional.

I miss the ability to go to someone’s profile and bring up a list of all threads they started. You can currently use advanced search to bring up a list of all their posts for a specified date range, but it would be nice to be able to see just threads that they started.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed, that's something I use frequently.

Is there a limit on photo size? I just posted two over 12mb and it worked great. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
One little nit-pick I wanted to mention is the new 'favorites' icon. The red MTF logo looks entirely generic and doesn't stand out from the other tabs I have open in my browser. I really liked the yellow sign with the loco better as I felt it was more representative of the community.

There's been a lot of talk about color in the signatures. I wonder, could the option be made for people to set TWO signatures, adjusted for light and dark themes?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Exactly.

I would have mentioned it myself but I've ranted enough about their new ad platform that happens to include a forum.

They must think we're all a bunch of idiots.
I know you keep complaining about the ads, but really, it's no worse than before. I have a couple of screenshots of pages on the old software, and there are no less than 4 ads on the old page, and only 3 on this (including a small popup that stays at the bottom of the screen. Granted, the ads are now embedded in the page content, and therefore a little more intrusive, but there aren't any more of them.

FWIW, reading a story on the Hartford Courant website a few minutes ago, I had to deal with a pop-up offering me a subscription, and 3 ads embedded right in the article's text. An Electek article had a nice round dozen ads all over the place, including embedded in the text and even one just scrolling down the side of the page as I scrolled though the article.

I've just learned to ignore the ads. It's the price we have to pay for enjoying a free service in the electronic age. I, for one, would rather deal with the ads than have a pay-to-play payment that I can't avoid. Yes, ad blockers work, but if everyone blocks the ads, soon no one will, provide free web content any more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am liking the new software. My only complaint is that the font size needs to be a tiny bit larger. Whether light, or dark mode, it is to small. My eyes are getting more blurry by the minute. How about the ability to change the font size? Also, many members here must remember the black chalkboards, written on with white chalk. They were declared, persona non grata, decades ago. Dark mode might be the latest fad, and I hope that is all it is, but it is horrible for your eyes. Glenn

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I am liking the new software. My only complaint is that the font size needs to be a tiny bit larger. Whether light, or dark mode, it is to small. My eyes are getting more blurry by the minute. How about the ability to change the font size? Also, many members here must remember the black chalkboards, written on with white chalk. They were declared, persona non grata, decades ago. Dark mode might be the latest fad, and I hope that is all it is, but it is horrible for your eyes. Glenn
Most browsers have a way to increase the font size for a given web site. In firefox you can hit Ctrl + or Ctrl - to change the size. Comes in handy to fine-tune every site you visit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most browsers have a way to increase the font size for a given web site. In firefox you can hit Ctrl + or Ctrl - to change the size. Comes in handy to fine-tune every site you visit.
Sorry, my bad. I did that but I don't want to have to do it every time I visit this forum. I got the blurry vision because I tried Dark Mode for too long. I went back to Light Mode and increased the font size once and it is a great size. So much easier to focus on. Thanks, Glenn

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
Like most of us, I am a creature of habit, so it takes me a bit to get used to changes. (I was more than a little grumpy about it all at first.) I was lucky enough to get the chance to play with the new platform before they went live with it so I am already getting used to it. I have to admit that I am crazy about it now. It feels so much faster and is easy to use after a brief learning curve. Give it a few days and let me know if you start liking it too. :)

- Cricket
I see that non members can do just about anything here but post.
It was the same on the old format but John (admin) fixed it. Since then the new format it has returned to the old.
ANYONE can view profiles and pictures, who is doing what, and a lot of other things, this is not right. People should NOT see any of these unless signed on.
When the change was implemented on the old format we saw an increase in new members signing up.
With the old format we had an average of anywhere from 20 to 75 members active most of the times, now we are down to maybe 15 tops.
Why log in when you can do just about anything you want except post something?

You do want more to join right?

Lets make this like other sites, I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry looking at all my stuff.
Members, OK, yes.
I see you are changing the formats on other sites too, you should fix this on all you are changing.
John here, ( admin/mod) fixed this on the old format. For some reason I guess he can't here. I asked.
Like I said this was fixed after I brought the subject up, lets fix this again.
Make them sign in or join up before they see everything.
Thanks, ED

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Can't find a link for threads I've started without having to wade through everyone else's.

Did I miss it?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
Can't find a link for threads I've started without having to wade through everyone else's.

Did I miss it?
Click your picture upper left, then click "Following", then click "My discussions".
All your threads are there.
My Discussions = your threads now. Weird huh?

·
Admin
43,209 Posts
I agree about the font sizes, isn't this easier to read? I'd like to see the default about this size. We need to be aware that many of the users here don't have the visual acuity of an eagle!

I'd also like to see the ability to change the font size, this is the only forum software I'm aware of that doesn't have that option.
:)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the last several months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform - Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!
I really miss having the "edit" function. In the old format, you could go back and correct any typos even after the post had been sent. Now, using the new format, once a post is sent, you can't do anything with it.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
In the upper right corner above your post you will see 3 vertical dots. Click on those and you will be presented with an edit option.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts