Model Train Forum banner

Weathering track

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Patrick1544 
#1 ·
Thought I’d share a technique for weathering my track and switched before I install them on the layout. I use 1/8 inch Chart Tape as a mask . It fits just right on the railhead of O gauge track.
This tape helps avoid the railhead wiping and cleaning after airbrushing the track. Not messy at all. It Comes right off leaving a clean, virtually paint-free railhead.
Hope it will benefit those who weather their track like I do. Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

Tire Automotive tire Wood Rim Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
I've always found that running a hard rubber track cleaning block over the top of the rails before the paint has a chance to fully cure takes it right off. Much less work than laboriously masking all that track with Chart-Pak.

I also paint the sides of sides of the rails with a bristle brush.

#3 ·
Well, I did use artists fluid mask and it worked well. Then I'd have to rub it off as you say. The problem I found is the mask is clear and you only find out where you missed after you scrub it off with the gum pickup.
Anyway, Im happy with the Chart tape. After masking a few switches, it goes pretty fast and its really fast on straight sections. I masked 21 Ross Switches in about 15 minutes.
Just a matter of patience and choice.

#4 ·
In HO, many just wipe the tops of their rails with a light coat of vegetable cooking oil. Yes, you do have to be careful not to get it on the web and foot of the rail. If you do it well, it takes about twice as long to remove it once your paint has cured on the rest of the rails. Two wipes, the second with alcohol.

However, a wooden dowel, notched, or something like it, will also remove a lot of the paint on the bearing surface if you choose not to apply anything at all, as CT says. I often have left-over or waste bits of dimensional trestle or other structure lumber...in scale. I grab one and begin to rub it back and forth on the bearing surface. Works well, and quickly. Notch it first with your razor saw. Or a scotchbrite type of plastic pad...they're disposable.

All that aside, I do thank you for taking the time to post this. I guess it would work most effectively for the larger scale rails, as you appear to show. While applying the tape might be somewhat laborious, it's removal would be like flicking dental floss off one's fingers when the job is done....fast, complete, and effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.