·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only two rules:
1.) Keep wheel treads clean
2.) Keep axle-points & cones clean

There are a few ways to do it:
1.) You can 'cloud' the truckframes with an airbrush for rust effects (remove wheels).
2.) You can airbrush the truckframes with the wheels in place using a 'wheel-mask'.
3.) You can drybrush truckframes and wheelsets assembled together.

Only acrylic paint is recommended.
Be sure to remove all traces of paint on wheel treads and axle-points.
Truckframes should be DullCote'd... not recommended for wheels.
Insect Wood Finger Pollinator Jewellery
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, a paint glob in an axle cone can affect rollabity.
The light use of a TruckTuner will clean out any paint that accidentally finds its way there.
I always try to paint first, and TruckTune last.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for the advise sir. Been wondering about how to go about this particular project. I really don’t like silver/chrome looking wheels on any rolling stock. Or brand new, black, accurail trucks for that matter. (Thread saved)

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wheels
Old vs new rust.

BTW, if you weather wheels, and you want to be nit-picky about it, keep in mind that (in general) wheel webs will be darker, (old rust) and the thin wheel tread-edges will be lighter (recent rust).
The older rust is, the darker it gets.
Also, rust colors on a model scale need to be in the brown spectrum or black... never orange.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New or recently formed rust
Is generally light-colored and chalky,

Bicycle part Auto part Electric blue Jewellery Oval

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Locomotive wheels are a different story
(requiring completely different methods).

You have a few choices...
  • Carefully mask the truckframes & wheels separately for airbrushing.
  • Or paint the wheels by hand before masking them.
  • Or disassemble the truckframes.
In the top photo, I painted the wheels by hand, before masking them for airbrushing the truckframes... the wheels need to be rotated a few times for complete access.
In the second pic, I dismounted the truckframes for applying grime & brake-dust over silver paint.
The third photo shows the grimed-up silver trucks mounted.
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Vehicle Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Font
Train Vehicle Plant Rolling stock Tree

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Regarding car trucks, I've used a number of the Kadee blackened wheels. I use a dremel with a wire-wheel and will hold one finger lightly on the opposite wheel, letting the dremel spin the whole axle slowly. You can get pretty good control of this and only remove the black from the contact surface of each wheel, which leaving them nice and shiny. Use light pressure with the dremel so it doesn't bite in to the metal or leave scratches.

The black stuff makes a good surface for paint to stick to while coloring the face of the wheels, plus I've noticed it is a bit rough looking which helps the paint look a little more like rust without adding anything else.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just curious, is there some reason you do not paint & weather the axles & wheel backs? Or are the example photos from something like a gondola rather than a tank car, hopper, etc?

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure why you think the type of car would have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure why you think the type of car would have anything to do with it.
Different car types have different visibility. The trucks under a boxcar, flat, or gondola are barely visible at any angle, while trucks and wheels (both face side and back) under a covered or open hopper or a tank car are highly visible at most angles.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess there's only two possible answers...
1.) I suck at it.
2.) I don't know any better.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
My apologies, I didn’t mean to put you in defensive mode or come across as somehow deriding you. I just thought there is/was a reason you left them bare, like pick up shoes for a sound-equipped car or…. I figured I was missing something. The only clue I had was that they are insulated sets.
I think they look great. Better than mine.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem.
It's all good. (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts