Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at some Weaver EMD E8 Diesels. Do these have china drives with vertical motors over the trucks or horizontal motors with chain drives? My only Weaver diesel is an RS3 with early single horizontal motor and tower drive. Not impressive.

Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Weaver's E8 diesels have two vertical motors, but these motors do not have flywheels and so turning off the power makes them stop rather abruptly. Also, these units (at least the ones I have) do not come factory equipped with diesel sounds or horn, but there is plenty of room in these diesels for owners to add upgrades. MTH acquired the molds from Weaver; so MTH E8's look basically the same, but have added detailing, sounds, smoke, and control boards.

My Weaver E8's are great pullers, and I like the way they look. When I have the time, I would like to upgrade them with diesel sound boards. Prices for Weaver E8's seem to be climbing in the used market.

I agree with you about the horizontal horizontal motors in early Weaver diesels.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Gordon. Good to know about the flywheels. It seems prices on everything is climbing including MTH.

Pete

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wish I could help - and know myself. I bid on an A-B-A of Weaver E8's in Union Pacific. It was a gamble, no box. Seems the seller was not a train guy but an estate situation or something, can't remember. I got them at what I believed was a good price, and I like the detail, weight, 1:48 length, I quickly sold the B Unit and it drew good money for a lone B. I still have the A - A. I have them wrapped up in storage. I do not remember them looking odd to me, they looked like K Lines to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the Weaver E-8 NYC in the early 1990's, they came with no sound system and DC can motors with no flywheels. I replaced the Weaver vertical can motors with flywheel equipped motors from Timko Repair Depot in Beavercreek,OH. Frank Timko is the owner and very easy to communicate with, his flywheel motor is an exact replacement for the Weaver motor, no modifications, you will have to desolder the motor leads from the Weaver motor and solder them to the Timko motor. Frank's telephone number is 937-429-1461 he also has a web page. I installed the Ott E-8 Sound System in these engines Dave Ott Jr. recorded the actual sounds of the E-8 locomotive, Ott sound systems are no longer available, I would consider the ERR EMD sound system, easy to install.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I first posted the question I have learned a lot about the various options. The fact that Weaver engines have no flywheels plus the fact that a lot of MTH PS1 and early PS2 engines use the same tooling. The MTH engines do have flywheels. This all comes into play as my goal is to have a set that is DCS capable with PS2/3. MTH has maybe done one or two sets with PS2 and PS3 but I haven't seen one available in two years of searching and at todays prices finding something else and doing an upgrade could prove nearly as expensive as a new set.
Pete

·
Registered
737 Posts
So, I see a K Line auction today of E8's for Burlington Route. Don't necessarily need them, but it stated right on the box that each "A" has dual vertical motors. Are ALL vertical motors a bad deal or possibly just the Weavers?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
So, I see a K Line auction today of E8's for Burlington Route. Don't necessarily need them, but it stated right on the box that each "A" has dual vertical motors. Are ALL vertical motors a bad deal or possibly just the Weavers?
The Williams diesels have vertical motors and have a reputation like the Energizer Bunny; they just keep running and running.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Virtually all diesels have vertical motors except 3rd Rail and early small Weaver engines. Also some lionchief and small K-Line engines have small motors in the trucks. The only problem with Weaver vertical motors might be the lack of flywheels which make upgrading to PS2/3 harder to do. ERR works with no flywheels though might not be as smooth.

Pete

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Pete and Mike. Probably 3 months away from putting some of my junk pile on the work bench and self educating.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flywheel inertia is a function of mass and radius. Think foot pounds. So you can either increase the diameter or just increase the weight. Williams uses thin flywheels that are wider than the motor.

Pete

·
Admin
45,205 Posts
Actually, a surprising amount of energy is stored in the flywheels for model trains. You can cancel that out if the electronics presents a short across the motor when it's de-energized, that's like an electronic brake. If there's no short across the motor when power is removed, a locomotive will move quite a distance from the flywheel inertia.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you say so, I've really never noticed. Seems my engines stop on a dime when I kill the power or hit the direction button, hence my question.
What Pete stated about Williams makes sense to me, a flywheel with a larger diameter would have more effect but I know not always possible in tight spaces of a model train.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
If you say so, I've really never noticed. Seems my engines stop on a dime when I kill the power or hit the direction button, hence my question.
What Pete stated about Williams makes sense to me, a flywheel with a larger diameter would have more effect but I know not always possible in tight spaces of a model train.
Changing direction is synonymous with GRG's electronic break. Not only a short across the motor like an electric break but with addition of reverse power. If you loco's stop on a dime, that might point to the control system and/or settings.

·
Admin
45,205 Posts
It's easy to test. Remove the drive system from the picture. Connect the motors using just a bridge rectifier and get the train running at a reasonable speed. Disconnect the power lead from the track so that it's an open circuit and no chance of EMF backfeed, and see how far it coasts then. FWIW, MTH PS/3 trains stop on a dime, even with flywheels, they obviously are shunting the motor when they lose power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts