Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My layout is Kato Unitrack on banquet tables covered with felt cloth. Scenery consists of dioramas on bases cut for the location. There are several advantages and disadvantages to this setup, one of the disadvantages is there are seven useless corners. You can’t put a spur into the corner without shrinking the radius of the mainline or violating the “mainline goes through the turn on a turnout” rule, so any industry served by a railroad spur is out of the question. I have a few ideas, like putting a wooded hill in one corner with a hillbilly shack.
I ended up with a couple small stations and then got a couple large platforms made by AHM from yard sales some friends called me about. The platforms look like they went to some kind of industry. After plopping them down to fill up the empty space I thought, other than the fact that there’s a curve the corners would be a nice place to put a whistle stop station. The platform is straight and 15” long but it shouldn’t be too hard to cut it into thirds and add wedges to fill in.
The most exposed corner on the layout is also the furthest from the control station and I wanted to put a feature there that I didn’t care about since it probably would get damaged at some point by people (like me) brushing against it. A name for the station that hinted at that expectation seemed appropriate, thus was born “Sacrifice WV”. The state was chosen because I am fond of the B&O and West Virginia is about as hilly as it gets on that railroad.
I had two stations, one from Atlas of brick and the other (being this one) appears to be southwestern or maybe even Italian. Anyway there are too many windows for a place that is cold half the year but I was trying to do this on the cheap so slapped a coat of paint on it and called it good.
Of course, to do anything on the cheap you have to spend money… I was at a local hobby store and found the Model Power small freight station, thinking it would be perfect to fill in a niche on the platform. And I wanted a nice white picket fence around the grass so a trip to ebay found some from Tichy.

Here's the station. For some reason the local Lady’s Auxiliary thought an accurate population important enough to complain to the station master, but the maintenance man doesn’t seem to agree. He’ll probably be up there again soon to do a proper job of it.

Here’s everyone waiting impatiently for the train.

Here’s a poor townsperson who just realized his world ends with a three-foot drop onto concrete. The empty carriage may seem odd, but off in the distance you can see the boy who’s supposed to mind the horse playing with his dog instead.

So there you have it. I ended up spending more time than I planned creating the station but in the end It came out OK. Hopefully it won't come crashing to the floor too often.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Exactly what I'm doing. Well, except yours looks far better and neater! and its working. I ended up ditching the felt for pink flat panel foam. i then did some basic ground cover. i ditched the plastic track for micro engineering but this turns out to be hard. i do have quite a bit of plastic track now and recently bought some kato so i'll probably just mix than anyway after all because pragmatism. i'm expanding (slowly) on one end at the top of a loop along a wall... I thought I'd just roll out the felt again to her going... it's easy and if i don't like it the big win is -- just take it back up.

the biggest downside is really in the end it doesnt look as good as the fixed layouts can look...

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts
What ! No warning sign of the drop? :)

Nicely done, maybe add some rock climbers where the guy is looking down?
Or a person with a glider wing ready to jump? :unsure:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the best parts about using unitrack is that your layout isn't fixed. You can pretty much rejigger the track on a whim. I've expanded this layout from an oval to an oval with a waterwing around it, added turnouts and reversing loops without plan and now I'm adding a passenger terminal (with 200' of the St Louis Union Station facade in front, if I can work it out) all without having to tear up any track or benchwork. There is a great variety of track available and it's relatively easy to doctor individual pieces when you need to.
I plan on using 1/8" rubbery foam stuff from the craft store to cover up the felt in between dioramas. I'm hoping it will cover up the wiring too, I haven't drilled a hole in a table yet.
As you mentioned, the downside is it will never look like the pictures you see in model railroad magazines. Being an engine junkie I don't think I'll be too bothered by that.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Nice name for a town/Station. There are downsides to any layout, and upsides. Yours looks good and seems to serve you well.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It looks good but let me ask what's the problem with "mainline goes through a turn on a turnout rule"?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I like it !

And, love a story behind a scene.

I think I'll steal the idea of the fellow standing at the edge of the "road to nowhere".

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cars are more likely to derail going through the turn than on the straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts