Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replied to a post on the OGR forum wishing a fellow member to get well, he was having health problems and really wanted to get back to work on his layout. The dictators over there deleted my post... and my forum membership with zero explanation. Ridiculous. I canceled my subscription & I only read OGR at the newsstand now and throw it back on the shelf. And any books they may have published, I pick those up secondhand. They no longer get any of my dollars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have to agree with Lee. They are really a bunch of [email protected]#%*#@S over on OGR. Got pissed at me cause of the american flag in my profile. Being a, vet it pissed me off that they threw me off. Did me a favor.
Yeah, O-gauge Nazi's, that's for sure. OGR for Elitists, or "OGRE", as I now refer to them. I got permanently booted off of there a few months ago for complaining about one of their own, a forumer who's always "Hot under the collar". Continuously insults newcomers by referring to them as "idiots" and "morons", because of newbie posting errors, which half the time isn't entirely their fault. I also have a sneaking hunch he is a self-appointed hallway monitor, and reports posts to the moderators because something doesn't meet one or more of their myriad of confusing and/or under-defined rules and regulations for posting. :poop:

I also dropped their on-line, digital magazine subscription in 2019, plus I didn't sign up to become a "supporting member" or whatever they call it, when they came up with that money-making scheme. That probably didn't help my situation out, either. I look for the day when they require it of all forumers over there. I could go on and on with a bunch other gripes too, but I only took one "Happy Pill" today. No sense in burning it off prematurely. :p

Yup, they did me a favor too. :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
While not reading completely into whatever went into the Atlas/MTH discussions, Atlas did not purchase a product line but rather just parts and pieces of one.

So, MTH has to now find a buyer or buyers to purchase the rest after the lines have been canabilized.

Could selling off just parts of a product line be a sign of desperation. Also MTH seems to be acting like it’s just another day by continuing to produce more and more products. Maybe they were already in the pipeline prior to the announcement to shut down.

TrainWorld in NY on the other hand is advertising and sending e-mails out with the message “Get them now before they are gone forever” while Mr. Muffin has started to run auctions.

The latter has got to be severely affected by the MTH closure since a good bit of his business is with MTH although he does have the Lionel line as a fall back position.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
From the horror stories I'm reading here, it's a wonder the OGR site even exists.

They sound like a big group of 'good-ol'-boy's-club' elitist snobs.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I got into it with them over the avatar rules. The ONLY custom avatar you can use is a “recognizable“ photo of YOURSELF. An American Flag? NO! A photo of a train? NO! As a long time retailer, who actually sold their magazine in in my store for decades, I wanted to use the same avatar photo I use here, but NO! I told them that I did not want to look at a bunch of photos of old men—like ME—but no soap. They blew me off. I can’t remember just what issue got me booted off OGR, but I really couldn’t care less. Model railroading and toy trains are supposed to be FUN! I don’t need some brown shirts telling me every few seconds what I can’t say or think. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
While MTH may be still looking for buyers, for the time being what hasn’t been sold off will be taken over by existing MTH employees. That includes Premier steam, Railking, Parts, and DCS. Likely won’t be as prolific as before but maybe they will follow a new business model where the retailers and customers request whats made.

Thats said I doubt any new steam will be produced or anything requiring new dies so maybe just new road names of existing product????

Pete

·
Registered
88 Posts
While not reading completely into whatever went into the Atlas/MTH discussions, Atlas did not purchase a product line but rather just parts and pieces of one.

So, MTH has to now find a buyer or buyers to purchase the rest after the lines have been canabilized.

Could selling off just parts of a product line be a sign of desperation. Also MTH seems to be acting like it’s just another day by continuing to produce more and more products. Maybe they were already in the pipeline prior to the announcement to shut down.

TrainWorld in NY on the other hand is advertising and sending e-mails out with the message “Get them now before they are gone forever” while Mr. Muffin has started to run auctions.

The latter has got to be severely affected by the MTH closure since a good bit of his business is with MTH although he does have the Lionel line as a fall back position.
I dunno, but when smaller businesses (all kinds, not just model trains) get sold off, it very often seems like they get piecemealed out amongst multiple buyers, even though the sellers try at first to sell the business as a whole. For example, since Atlas favors diesels, it's no surprise to me that they are not interested in MTH steamers.

Personally, I hope ALL of MTH's tooling gets bought up, even if by multiple buyers. That way, us modelers will all benefit down the road by still being able to buy the products regardless of who's brand name ends up on them. And dealers like Mr. Muffin's can still offer the same merchandise, just under new & various brand names.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got into it with them over the avatar rules. The ONLY custom avatar you can use is a “recognizable“ photo of YOURSELF. An American Flag? NO! A photo of a train? NO! As a long time retailer, who actually sold their magazine in in my store for decades, I wanted to use the same avatar photo I use here, but NO! I told them that I did not want to look at a bunch of photos of old men—
Some of the gals pics on there look like they used to be old guys. Just sayin'. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" as Jerry Seinfeld says. 😄

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Just a bunch of bitter old men that don't have anything better to do or anyone else to belittle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While MTH may be still looking for buyers, for the time being what hasn’t been sold off will be taken over by existing MTH employees. That includes Premier steam, Railking, Parts, and DCS.

Pete
Did MTH announce this re Premier steam and RailKing?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
One thing I was wondering about. When MTH finally closes their doors, although they keep announcing new products, what happens to the resources on their web site like instruction manuals. Does that all go away.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I sure miss your store....it was a highlight of my visits to L.A.....
Thanks for that. I miss it as well. As it turned out, my selling it in May of 2007 when I did was a stroke of luck. Within a few months, we were in that huge recession and keeping that big place running would have been very difficult.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My guess is they are making this up as they go and as circumstances dictate. No one in their right mind would have planned things this way :). Hopefully those of you who own lots of MTH locos and DCS will be able to get some support and parts/service, but personally, I wouldn't be investing more money in MTH locos or DCS at this point in time.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
The story is constantly changing for sure. Last year it was announced DCS would continue run by two ex employees. The website to up in January. AFAIK DCS is still a go but now part of the new parts distributor. They do have a building and still setting up. Maybe we won't find anything else out until the old MTH actually closes up at the end of May.
As for parts, thats a problem no matter what you own if its over ten years old. Just as you have to do for K-Line and Weaver parts you have to do for older Lionel, 3rd Rail, and Williams. Adapt using what's still still available.
Pete

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I believe that Mike Wolf tried to sell the whole company, had no takers, so decided to break it up. I strongly believe that Mike made more money in the toy train/model railroad business than any other person in history, with the possible exceptions of JLC or the family that owned Marklin in Germany. He has absolutely nothing to lose here. He is breaking it up and taking the dollars where he can find them. If it all sells, great. If not, who knows where the remnants will end up, but he wants out, is getting out and is not allowing anything to slow down his retirement. I believe he is doing the right thing. We may not like it, but that‘s the way the cookie crumbles.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Not sure Mike is getting out completely. Its been said he wants to keep his hands on DCS development. What does one do with their time these days? Far fewer options than just 18 months ago.

Pete

21 - 40 of 51 Posts