Model Train Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Not sure Mike is getting out completely. Its been said he wants to keep his hands on DCS development. What does one do with their time these days? Far fewer options than just 18 months ago.

Pete
When MTH announced that Mike would be retiring and closing the company, I wishfully predicted that Mike’s retirement would be like Walter Matuch’s of RMT. Looks like my wish is coming true.

·
Admin
45,143 Posts
One thing I was wondering about. When MTH finally closes their doors, although they keep announcing new products, what happens to the resources on their web site like instruction manuals. Does that all go away.
Excellent question, I have captured all the sound and chain files that exist on the current site, "just in case".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently, if the posts are to be believed, one of the two remaining techs in the MTH parts/service area is not signing on with the new parts/service business and the other more senior fellow is not a lock to sign on. Seems tenuous at best. I agree with the insight that Mike Wolf is doing what's needed so he can leave the business with minimum anger amongst the flock of loyal customers. I would be surprised if any of this "continuation" of bits and pieces of MTH (DCS/parts/service) survives beyond a year or two. Without a full line train company, DCS and PS3 will gradually enter history, rather than current production. Death by a thousand cuts. You have to have great faith to be buying PS3 or DCS equipment at the present moment, unless you can repair it yourself, or only plan to use them for a few years.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
... Without a full line train company, DCS and PS3 will gradually enter history, rather than current production. Death by a thousand cuts. ...
I had thought that some DCC modules were compatible with MTH. That is, the DCC modules can be inserted into a loco in place of some (most/all?) of the electronics in an MTH loco to operate it's various functions. Such that your control system would also need to be DCC. I do know there are O-Scale DCC modules that purport to interface with MTH loco.'s. But as I run prewar conventional, I know little of the details.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Yes. I don’t mean any disrespect to you folks who like all this digital stuff, but give me a good, old, Lionel 2343 Santa Fe F3 with a conventional E-unit and a ZW transformer, all proudly made in the USA.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Yes. I don’t mean any disrespect to you folks who like all this digital stuff, but give me a good, old, Lionel 2343 Santa Fe F3 with a conventional E-unit and a ZW transformer, all proudly made in the USA.
A little to new for me. :) I renovated a Lionel passenger set from the late 1920's. Presently renovating some passenger cars from the 1910's.

Note: I use the word "renovate" as I'm not restoring to the original colors. Rather my own desires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Three cheers for "good ole" PW santa fe F3's . And all PW engines . Can still buy necessary parts, EZ to repair/diagnose. runs forever. Lee & Denny are correct about the big ones at OGR.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, at least you got a reply from that bunch, which is more than we other exiles from that forum have received. 😜
Interesting thought there - who knows what handles the re-born MTH lines will have. We may be reduced to magnifying glasses and detective work to identify "old" MTH castings.
FW

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I got a reply because I sent an e-mail directly to Alan Arnold. Otherwise only not seeing the deleted post. I did not get an explanation.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
One thing I have noticed for a company going out of business they sure are producing a lot of stuff some of which is not anticipated to be available until the third quarter.

Everyday I get an e-mail from MTH with new products. Today it was RS3s in Long Island with an early buy price, perhaps direct from MTH , for $349.00

41 - 51 of 51 Posts