Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sitting here in my layout room watching two monster Baldwin 2-10-4s pulling 50+ car trains on my layout thinking to myself what a sight this could have been back in the day of steam. I think that I’ve come to the conclusion that my favorite locomotives I own are my pair of 5011 class 2-10-4 locos from the atsf. My 5017 is a united brass model and my 5034 is a bachman dcc equipped loco. There is an obvious difference in appearance but they’re both excellent runners and pull like... well a freight train!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
My favorite American locomotive is the GP-35/38:

My favorite European locomotives are these:

Swiss Re/420. These entered service in 1964 and is still the most widely used locomotive in Switzerland. They run like a Swiss watch.

The Austrian ÖBB 1014. Only 15 built and was ahead of it's time in the '90's. Now coming back into service. Their sister locomotive is the 1822 and is a meter longer with more horsepower for pulling passengers and frieght over the Brenner Pass in the Alps.

The German Deutsche Bahn AG Br.120. This locomotive has been in service since 1978 and just keeps soldiering along. This one is in billboard paint advertising for the ZDF television network in Germany. All others are traffic red.

Part of the fascination with European equipment is the vast variety of equipment in use in the various counties. There are many, many types from the late 40's all the way up to today still in service and well maintained.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Who makes that locomotive?

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Didn't we just play this game in Union Station?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I thought we did.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not gonna lie I haven’t been on the forum lately. I’ve been busy with other things so I’m sorry I missed it in union station

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Thanks. I was pretty certain the Europeans had a hand in that locomotive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After growing up just 1 mile from the Pennsy 4 track mainline between NY City and Philadelphia there could be no other for me but the GG-1.

We would see that headlight in the distance and within what seemed like a few seconds that beautiful piece of engineering would fly by with sparks coming from the cat and an electrical charge in the air that you could taste.

I love to watch the steamers in action but the G will always remain my favorite. For our senior class trip to Washington, DC we rented 3 cars from the Pennsy. Headed by a G we made the trip non stop in short order at 100 mph!

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Another favorite... the GE-44ton:
Small muscle that does a lot of work.

image2 (1)~5.JPG
IMG_20170502_112208.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts