Model Train Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
After growing up just 1 mile from the Pennsy 4 track mainline between NY City and Philadelphia there could be no other for me but the GG-1.

We would see that headlight in the distance and within what seemed like a few seconds that beautiful piece of engineering would fly by with sparks coming from the cat and an electrical charge in the air that you could taste.

I love to watch the steamers in action but the G will always remain my favorite. For our senior class trip to Washington, DC we rented 3 cars from the Pennsy. Headed by a G we made the trip non stop in short order at 100 mph!
I agree about the GG1 and also the EP5, E33 and E44. I just like electrics running under catenary.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Me too Gramps.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yes Michael, but you're actually modelling them. I have a small shelf layout but at least I'm back in the hobby.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I’m sitting here in my layout room watching two monster Baldwin 2-10-4s pulling 50+ car trains on my layout thinking to myself what a sight this could have been back in the day of steam. I think that I’ve come to the conclusion that my favorite locomotives I own are my pair of 5011 class 2-10-4 locos from the atsf. My 5017 is a united brass model and my 5034 is a bachman dcc equipped loco. There is an obvious difference in appearance but they’re both excellent runners and pull like... well a freight train!
My favorite locomotive is a Milwaukee Road Bipolar electric. My second favorite is a GE boxcab, Steeplecab, Westinghouse Quill motor, or Little Joe electric. Are you sensing a theme here? 😄

Traction Fan 🙂

21 - 25 of 25 Posts