Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered what others are using these days.

I have paashe H-3's and badger 155 anthem , vega 2000 and a vega 600 single action and an old but new thayer chandler model E-300 single action and two olympos an HP88 a short single action internal mix witha dial for paint flow and no handle so it's short and a HP-18Bd same thing with the long handle .

I ahve not practiced with the dual action AB's so these are odd for me . I like the paashes H-3's simple to use and clean and the single action Model E for a bit better spray pattern .

I used to use scale caot II but I can't find in local in calif anymore and then I wanted to go with modelflex since it's water based and not toxic . I have used the model flex on some wood items and it was easy to use but have not tried it on a HO loco as yet.

Floquil always seemed to need gloss to get decals on proper , too much trouble .

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't have an airbrush yet. But I've been thinking about a Badger. Can you tell me the difference between the 150 and the 155?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have an airbrush yet. But I've been thinking about a Badger. Can you tell me the difference between the 150 and the 155?

The 150 has three needle and head options , the med is best for roadroad paints. It also has a teflon bushing that the needle moves in . The 155 has one head and needle that allows it to be used for all painting , from fine work to heavy work if you can call painting a loco heavy work . It has a handle that allows easy needle removal and easy to clear clogged head . It does not have the teflon bushing but I don't see the difference there . I thought the teflon bushing would reduce wear in the body where the needle slides back and forth, I spoke with badger today and the lady who knows the air brushes said she has never seen wear in the 155 bore which is a drilled hole in the body were the needle moves. I suppose it my over many years but I have old air brushes with the same thing and none are worn and work well .

I would go with the 155 anthem. This is the one I kept over the 150 I did have.

I do prefer single action internal mix which the badger 200 is or paashe makes one called the SA 2000 #3 which looks nice . I always seem to use the paaashe H-3 single action external mix , easy to clean and cheap and nothing to wear out . I do hear the internal mix give a smaller dot pattern which I can't really see the difference with the scale coat II I used but with model flex , then it might be better with an internal mix.

It does take pracitce to use a dual action like the 150 or 155 because you get air when you push down on the trigger and the paint flow depends on how far back you pull the lever where a single action you can set the paint flow with a knob and once set you have a consistent pattern. So a single action is easy to use at least in my experience. It does take trial and error with air pressure on any air brush and the type of paint used as well as the air temp and humidity. Each day is a bit different . with the H-3 and scale coat II I used 21 psi at the compressor air regulator , don't know what it was at the air brush and this worked in all situations for me. You have to consider the length of the air hose from the compressor to the brush , I found my setting by trial and error on scrap plastic as well as the distance you hold the brush from the surface.

It's not a difficult as I make it sound .

I used to paint about 6 inches away with a 1/2" pattern and overlap each pass by 50 % . the trick is to move the brush straight and trigger on before you hit the surface and trigger off once past the surface . If you don't what is called follow through , you blast the surface.

Perhaps someone can explain this better than me. Most air brushes come with a small paper manuel telling you what to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Look at badger airbushes site . on there is a garage sale with many fine airbrushes left for a third of their price , much less than online sites . you can pick up a gold plated 360 which is much the same as a 155 with one added feature for $40. Can't beat that .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts