Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this question on another forum and figured I would ask it here.

Since MTH is closing, do you plan to keep your pre-orders, cancel them or increase them?

Personally, I'm adding to my pre-order list. I'll probably pre-order more this year than ever before. There are a few locos that I was mildly interested in when I first looked at the last 2 catalogs, but I figured I would wait until MTH made exactly what I was looking for. Since production is ending next year, I plan to get a few more new MTH locos while I still can. I’m hoping that others do the same. If they don’t get enough pre-orders, they may just cancel some production runs.

Since DCS support will continue and since MTH locos have been dependable (for me at least), even though the company is closing, my MTH engines should outlast me.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have a pre-order in with Pat's Trains that I hope is still in effect. It has been on order for a long time and already missed two delivery dates. I am really not purchasing much new equipment, since my layout is pretty much done, and I just disposed of a BUNCH of train stuff last year. I still have WAY more than I'll ever need. But, I still hope my one pre-order goes in, eventually.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Since DCS support will continue and since MTH locos have been dependable (for me at least), even though the company is closing, my MTH engines should outlast me.
i am not holding my breath on this one.

someone posted this on another forum, I quote in part "now the talk about DCS living on as a "new entity" I see as a very questionable long tern, without the need DCS electrons for hundreds of new engines each and every year this will most probably end up as a fragile industry with a short life."

it was nice of someone at mth to say dcs lives on but a lot can happen in a year. we already know the handheld remote was not going to be made any longer because of parts. did anyone get the remotes that were promised in jan 2020? i did not.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I don't currently have any MTH pre-orders, but I have purchased some recent releases from stores. My train buying has slowed as I am putting funds towards my train building and layout. But as much as I wish MTH wasn't closing, I'm not worried about future purchases while they're available. I buy what catches my interest, which was a lot over the years, but I believe my trains will outlast me.

If an MTH locomotive needs a repair a few years from now I'm sure the hobby will continue to advance and there will be a new installation of some kind to keep them operating. I'm going to continue to enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a pre-order in with Pat's Trains that I hope is still in effect. It has been on order for a long time and already missed two delivery dates.

Same here with a Big Boy. I called the other day and talked to Pat. He didn't seem worried and felt MTH was going to continue after Mike's retirement.

·
Admin
44,002 Posts
Same here with a Big Boy. I called the other day and talked to Pat. He didn't seem worried and felt MTH was going to continue after Mike's retirement.
Not to be too critical, but what would you expect a dealer to say? ;) Although some of the product line may continue in some form after Mike leaves, MTH will certainly going to be a shadow of it's former self if it survives at all! When you sell your building, things are not looking rosy for continued operations!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am keeping my last 2 orders in place. $2900 full retail for 2020 Catalog 1 and $1500 for 2020 Catalog 2. I have posted on the MTH Thread under General Discussion. Of all of us regulars in this forum, I am perhaps the most loyal toward doing MTH pre orders and buying MTH off the secondary market.

Many dealers that were associated with MTH 1st, and the others secondary are probably in shock right now. They did like many of us probably did and ran the math on Mike Wolf's age and figured the ending of his company could be kicked down the road for a while longer. Now we are in a bind with a firm end date.

Keep in mind that MTH has to clear out of that building which is likely packed with stuff. That alone can end production or orders sooner then the final dates noted.

Of course, no amount of ordering over the last 2-3 years would have changed Mike's mind. MTH is big, and being a little bigger probably would not have changed his business mind that the selling of the building meant the end.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dealers are pie in the sky if they believe MTH will live on. They just don't want to face the reality in my opinion. I know very little about Atlas and Williams in term of NEW PRODUCT. As far as I know, they don't issue paper catalogs that I can review in the evening while drinking an adult beverage. I only purchase Williams on the secondary post new market. I have never seen a "new" Williams locomotive in any LHS and I visit Chicagoland Hobbies, Berwick Hobbies when in greater Chicago, Caboose Stop in Cedar Falls, Iowa and Hobby Haven in Des Moines, among others.

This is a seismic shift in the hobby.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get Your Pre-Orders in for MTH 2020 V2 Catalog Items

Deadline for pre-orders is June 30, 2020 (according to an email I got from E-Z Catch Train Shop).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts