Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an ho train and the woman said it was a Hawthorn Village train. I have never heard of them... Are they a subsidiary?

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
They take cheap equipment, slap a decorative scheme on them calculated to attract buyers who are fans of other stuff (sports teams, universities, other products) and sell them for inflated prices. From a pure model railroading perspective, I wouldn't give it a second look. The only reason to buy one is if you're a big fan of the decorating scheme. Just be prepared to be disappointed with the performance.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a set they offered from the NFL (mine is for the Washington Redskins). It was made by Bachmann. My Mom got it for me. I can't seem to find it now, but I've thought of repainting it. It's a passenger set, and the cars are lit.

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
I always considered them model trains you buy to impress people who know nothing about model trains. They aren't very good model trains but they appeal to sports fans or Harley fans ordisney fans or whatever . . .

·
Registered
227 Posts
No question, "themed" trains like those are cheesy at best. But Bachmann aren't so bad. The loco was a cheap pan motor, one truck drive, but the passenger cars are kinda cool. When I find mine, I'm repainting them.

Edit; This thread encouraged me to find mine, and I was mistaken. The loco isn't a cheap pan motor. It is a flywheel all wheel drive loco. The set is a F7(?) powered A, dummy B, one boxcar, and two Budd 85' Dome cars (lit w/ interiors). All Bachmann. And knuckle couplers as well.

When I get the time, I'm gonna figure out how to get the passenger cars apart, and repaint them. And the loco. I don't know about the cars yet, but the loco is getting MEC colors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I like trains to look at, but when I get the chance I like to run the devil out of them. Not much on just lookin' at them, bad for collecting I guess.. Since I've a rookie these past 40+ years post my next question on the beginner forum.

Thanks all for the heads up!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I picked up a Ford Mustang set, loco A&B, tank car 4 depressed center flats with mustangs on them for $60 bucks.
The loco is flywheel all wheel drive and runs smooth so worth the money

·
Registered
630 Posts
As others have said Hawthorne is paint schemes on Bachmann equipment.
At new prices they are quite overpriced but sometimes on the used market they can be quite a bargain.

Bachmann train set locos of the past decade or so are basic looking but smooth running. All this to say used HO Hawthorne can be deal if you can find a scheme you like at the right price.

The real deal though is in used Hawthorne On30. On30 modelers are often used to having to repaint and modify and stock models are allot more expensive than HO.

At used prices Hawthorne On30 stuff is often a fraction of the price for the same bachmann equipment and if repainting and modification is in the cards the n it doesn't matter what silly scheme they come in.

I recently saw a whole Hawthorne On30 train set sold on eBay for half the price of the equivalent loco.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a Hawthorn Village Thomas Kinkade On30 Christmas train. The train is Bachmann that has given me zero problems throughout the years. I store it in my garage in their original containers placed in kitchen garbage bags. My garage is not environmentally controlled. I don't get to set it up every year, but each time I do it's just plug and run with no hassles and very smooth. I love it and I'm very happy I got it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts