Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The O-scalers have a thread like this, let's get one going for HO.

Today's find, $10.00 at yard sale. Athearn F7? dual flywheel runs but has some body damage and missing couplers. Luckily the coupler covers are still on the frame.

Attachments

· Registered
77 Posts
I expect to add an OTM Tracker to my collection soon for a UP MOW train I’m planning to build. I also have Athearn Genesis UP1989 and UP1996 on preorder with a projected arrival date toward the end of Sept.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Font Publication Rectangle Signage Advertising

I'm usually leery about Bachmann's quality control, but will take a dive when it has a good review. This set is my second, the first being used in the Manhattan Transfer Subway Microlayout. This new set will transport miners to and from the village to collier on "Henley."

I was so impressed with how well the first set worked straight out of the box. Also, it is incredibly easy to set up, which is good for my blockhead skill set. Long on imagination, short on ability.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
Found this on ebay for 9.99. It needed new couplers, other than that, ready to use.

I have a smaller-sized layout, so I try to buy carefully. The cars that interest me are some that might indicate some "connection" to my railroad career.

Almost 40 years ago (how can it be that long?), when I was a young engineman fighting to hold on with Conrail back in those days, I worked a job that ran from Danbury (CT) over the Maybrook line and then hooked up with the former New York Central Harlem line up to the (then) end-of-the-line in Wassaic, NY.

One of the two companies we serviced there was "Triwall", which took raw cardboard and fabricated containers and other things. But in previous times, their factory had actually been the first "Borden's" dairy -- back in those times (around 1871) it had been started as the "New York Condensed Milk Company".

So... I decided a "Borden's" milk car would be worth adding. I reckon there may not have been actual express reefer cars of this type painted in this style, but that's ok with me. This one will do well enough.

The car:
Train Rolling stock Mode of transport Track Railway

The factory, as it looks today:
Sky Cloud Building Window Brick

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Fleabay listing said NIB. Bid was $40. Bid $45 and won it for $41.

Box is not "new". Older P2K because the mention of "Equipped with DCC plug" on the box is almost an afterthought and there is nothing about converting to DCC in the instructions.

Wood Flooring Floor Public space Font

NIB indeed. Factory tape on the clear cover.
Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Automotive design String instrument accessory

Font Line Material property Mesh Design

The optional parts.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Machine Engineering

Automotive design Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Vehicle Train Mode of transport Transport hub Rolling stock

Now to get into the running gear, clean up the hardened lube and replace the wheelsets before the original gears crack.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
Stumpy --

There should be an 8-pin plug (with a dummy adapter plugged into it) on the electrical board at the REAR of the chassis.

I'm thinking that one of the "postage stamp sized" decoders would work on that, assuming the existing light board doesn't get too hot (I had a Proto 2000 SD7 on which the resistors on the board got HOT when running with dcc -- I eventually changed these out).

You'll probably want to think about replacing the existing lights with LED's.

A URL to check:

1 - 20 of 175 Posts