Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 660 Posts
That shows the end of the car. When they are horizontal on a car they are thicker or double stacked to show the end of the car. Like this gondola for example.
I know, but show the ends to who? If the purpose is to make trains visible at unsignaled crossings at night, what point does it serve to know where a car ends? How many motorists would know that or care anyway? Maybe they are meant for something else altogether?

I know, but show the ends to who? If the purpose is to make trains visible at unsignaled crossings at night, what point does it serve to know where a car ends? How many motorists would know that or care anyway? Maybe they are meant for something else altogether?
Anyone looking at the car. They mark the beginning and end of the car, FRA 224 explains this.

Anyone looking at the car. They mark the beginning and end of the car, FRA 224 explains this.
I can see that. My question is to what purpose does denoting the ends of the cars with a longer reflective strip achieve in the scenario of seeing a train at a crossing at night? I've read the reg and it doesn't really say; it just lays out the pattern.

Who said it was for denoting the end of a car at a grade crossing?

Suppose it's for yard or staging track work? Loading or unloading at a platform or dock or coal tipple?

Maybe it's for a remote reader for counting rolling stock to know when a yard track is full.

61 - 80 of 660 Posts