Model Train Forum banner
81 - 100 of 175 Posts

· Registered
985 Posts
Haven't been doing much railroading since I moved and had to give up my layout but I found the time tonight to Shake A Few Boxes.
Bird Publication Font Rectangle Wood

I even found a catalog from my birth year inside one!
Font Brand Event Label Graphics

Will probably add better wheels and tune then a bit, but they're at least ready to run at the club. Can anyone tell me if the smaller Train Miniature boxcar is a smaller prototype, undersized or maybe both?
Green Font Gas Tints and shades Electric blue

· Premium Member
15,022 Posts
This car is called a combination door boxcar….one door is a slider, the other a plug door…

The plug doors create more solid wall to pack against than a double sliding door car does….you get the advantages of the extra width opening for fork lift operations and when the doors are closed the plugs are nearly as strong as the car side and just as smooth….

Pretty standard car type, came in 40 ft, 50 ft, and 60 ft boxcars….
Train Sky Vehicle Snow Rolling stock

Train Rolling stock Track Wood Railway

Sky Train Rolling stock Vehicle freight car

· Premium Member
940 Posts
Thanks for the info Hobo. I had no idea. Even though I've been into model trains since childhood, I only became a bit of a railfan in recent years.
I’ll never be a rivet counter but, I do appreciate correct details and such on what I have.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
You know “rivet counter” is a bit of a misnomer. I can count rivets all day. As long as there aren’t more than twenty Haaaaaaahahaha j/k. But knowing how many a model should have to be accurate is something else really. And I don’t know that answer, nor do I care.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
This what else I added to the roster. I got my foot in two canoes, and try to keep the Tyco disease under control, hah, hah. But my first love has always been British OO, and now they are doing more and more in HO. While identical in gauge, the OO stuff is just a wee bit more chunky owing to the fact that they made it a wee bit bigger to better fit in the motor. The motors got smaller, but OO had already chummed the British waters. Americans abandoned OO back in the '50's PDQ in favor of more slender, accurate models.

First gen steam has always been a fascination. They had to invent almost everything out of ingots and hand planed wood, as very little was commercially available, except for pressure gauge or a rivet. This is an HO model of the Lion, as she appeared restored for a 1930 expo in England. In her former life, she came right on the heels of the famous Rocket.
This guy Stephenson, and his son, Robert, Jr., were two of the most brilliant minds of the age. Not only did they have the ability to take raw ore and build a functional, useful machine, but the elder Stephenson had an astonishing insight into the fluid dynamics of gases. He invented, and tested first hand, a coal miner's lantern that would not ignite lethal underground gas leaks by virtue of the manner in which it drew in atmospheric air, and explosive methane. He later applied the same technological brilliance to boiler flues of his steam locomotives, a method that was never improved upon for the entire life of steam locomotives thereafter. Moreover, the elder Stephenson had something like a third grade education. He was not connected to high society, and in fact came from very humble beginnings. But he was so incredibly capable and insightful, that he leap frogged into the ranks of Newton or Einstein, in my estimation. He melded theoretical science and mechanical engineering into a force that changed the world. And he could barely write his own name.

Sr. and Jr. worked in a close knit tandem. By the time Jr. came into being, Sr. was doing pretty good as a stationary steam engine (pumps, mostly, used to drain ground water out of deep coal mines, using vacuum type steam engines). So, he made darn sure Jr. got a very strong education, and I recall some degree that was as close as one could get in mechanical engineering, in the early 19th century.

In doing so, Sr. was able to communicate his concepts, which were as esoteric as Quantum Physics are today, to his son, who was thus able to draw plans and explain what his Dad was saying to the rest of the scientific community. Without that vital mouthpiece, it is possible that Sr. would never have got the Rocket out of his brain and onto real iron rails pulling real carriages real fast (27 MPH- blindingly fast for the time). Genius that he was, he had no ability to write out complex formulas of gas physics much less technical specifications. His thick Cockney accent was difficult to understand, as it was sort of a patoise of the lower classes. If not for his son, Sr. would have stayed as a very competent, but unknown, stationary mechanical foreman.

Just another curious tidbit, George Sr. outlived his first two wives, and once famous as an inventor of the modern railway, married a young hottie many years his junior, who joined him on the foot plate for many of those early runs. Probably on the Lion...stay tuned for that one. She was an actress, which was, in Victorian England, considered a job of ill repute.

Hair Dress Art Headgear Sleeve

Brown Font Rectangle Metal History

Hood Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Rectangle
+

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

Haven't had a chance to unwrap her and break her in yet. She been sitting on a shelf for several weeks. Maybe Monday? Maybe not? Hopefully before I kick the damned bucket.

· Premium Member
HO 1950s SP in So. Cal.
2,741 Posts
"Haven't had a chance to unwrap her and break her in yet. She been sitting on a shelf for several weeks. Maybe Monday? Maybe not?
Hopefully before I kick the damned bucket."

When I was a kid we played "Kick the Can"
Now we're Kicking the bucket. 😢 :cry:

Nice trains by the way. (y)(y)

Magic

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Those GBs look nice. Have you ever built any out of wood & brass?
I like that black flat car back there. Interesting lip on it, and those odd trucks certainly look different. I usually don’t like getting lip, but in that cars case I’d make an exception.

81 - 100 of 175 Posts