Model Train Forum banner
101 - 120 of 165 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Have you ever built any out of wood & brass?
No I have been working in plastic and resin mostly. I have refurbished and rebuilt several wood kits (the PS&LE gon with the cross is one) and I have several wood kits to build. The masters for my homemade resin cars are made of wood.
I like that black flat car back there. Interesting lip on it, and those odd trucks certainly look different.
That's not a flat car, its a P&R class GMa low side steel gon. The P&R had thousands of low side (about a foot tall) gons in both steel and wood for the steel mill trade. That one it ktbashed with the shell from an Athearn 50 ft gon on an MDC cast metal underframe.
The trucks are Fox trucks a truck made from pressed and riveted metal plates that was popular with several eastern roads in the 1895-1900 time frame. Since I model 1900-1905, I have numerous models with Fox trucks. Most were retired by the 1920's and 1930's.

· Registered
793 Posts
My last 3 HO model railroad additions:

Atlas Master Silver BN GP40 that will soon become a
patched & weathered BNSF 3010:
View attachment 594426

KCS 4772, a Rivet Counter ES44AC:
View attachment 594427

ATSF 642, a Rivet Counter Dash 9:
View attachment 594425

After these 3 additions, I’m done buying for a while. I now have 10 locomotives and no layout!
After these 3 additions, I’m done buying for a while. I now have 10 locomotives and no layout!
beautiful engines Barlow !

· Registered
179 Posts
I am in phase 2 of my PRR coal car project. Phase 1 was two VC&F resin kits for PRR class GD hopper bottom gons and two 3D printed PRR class GB hopper bottom gons. Phase 2 is the remaining two VC&F class GD kits, two Westerfield resin kits for a PRR class GG hopper and rebuilding and detailing aa 1960's-70's era Concord Models wood kit as a PRR class GB car.
Phase 1:
Train Product Rolling stock Mode of transport Railway

Phase 2:
Automotive tire Line Gas Auto part Font

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Train Rolling stock Track Rolling Railway

My bud "Crusty" the hogger gifted me this lovely Walther's PC Harriman baggage coach. I have always been amazed at this particular car because here you have this brand new railroad trying to portray itself as the railroad of the future, hiring women, piggy back service, blah, blah, blah, and yet here they are taking a steam era relic and putting a coat of green and the Worms in Love on it. Sort of like if Ford used a Model T to advertise a Pinto.

· Registered
985 Posts
I'll snap some pics tomorrow, but I just had a delightful evening adding KDs, leveling trucks and securing weights on a bunch of recent purchases. All boxcars and hoppers for various Chicago area lines. I may upgrade wheels and add more precise weights, but at this point they're ready to add to the roster and take to the club for test runs.

101 - 120 of 165 Posts