Model Train Forum banner
121 - 140 of 165 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Here is the completion of the Pennsy Coal Car project, all were built in the last 2 months or so (except the scratchbuilt car).

All the cars were painted with Trucolor paint and used Westerfield decals (except for the VC&F cars).
Left to right
  • Two Forbes Models PRR class GB hopper bottom gon 3D prints from Shapeways
  • A rebuilt, redetailed Concord Models wood kit made into a PRR class GB hopper bottom gon
  • Four Virginia Car & Foundry PRR class GD hopper bottom gon resin kits
  • A scratchbuilt plastic PRR class GD hopper bottom gon
  • Two Westerfield PRR class GG hopper resin kits
    Train Vehicle Building Rolling stock Wood

· Registered
2,954 Posts
I bought one of those aurora miniatures models, the Canadian sd60. Ive not powered it up yet but every indication is they've gone out of their way to stand out a bit on their first offering. I got it at Midwest hobbies ... I think that's the name. Super prompt service, I'll consider them again for sure. After this I've gone through my 2nd pile of noch short grass, and most of a set of long grass. I got these from scenic express. But I also visited my local hobby store and purchased a few terrain items like trees from them but it's not really cost effective to buy trees so I tried my hand with the plastic armatures and glueing bits of woodland scenics stuff to the branches... Which quite honestly is only slightly more fun than smashing your toes with a hammer.

· Registered
2,954 Posts
The visual aspects are as I see them: All the add ons appear to be "more scale". The trucks are more accurate to the real thing, the couplers look a bit more like the real thing. Under magnification the labels are legible (comes with even more stickers in a bag), any paunt "over run" is minimal, the windows are a tad more clear than my sd90mac, nothing seems askew or there's no "ghost holes" in the body.. Etc.

Leds which I've only seen in vids ... ground, step, op console, front rear, multi color, number board, ditch. There could be more!

The fan blades turn... Kinda neat.

Sound -- haven't gotten to it.

It's a lok5 decoder so there's nothing there to complain about unless it's that there's probably a lok programmer in your future.

And so yeah.. seems like a bit of low key throw down to me ...

· Registered
553 Posts
Got me an Athearn Mikado, works on my 18" radius curves, plugged in an XLSystems decoder and runs good.
Now to add handrails and a speaker.
View attachment 595682
was this the early 2k offering from athearn with the hard tether that plugged into the tender ??
i had the same thing in 2005 i was going to replace it like you , i love the looks of these locos

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
was this the early 2k offering from athearn with the hard tether that plugged into the tender ??
i had the same thing in 2005 i was going to replace it like you , i love the looks of these locos
It is just a wire bundle with fat cover. It just sticks into a space in the tender, and pulls right out revealing the JST 9 pin receptacle.My XLSystem decoder is kinda big. Once the speaker goes in, the weight will need to change.

· Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Finally snagged a MOW caboose... The PRR ones seem to sell for crazy money and found this one for under $30. Naturally within hours of purchasing it another ebay seller I have purchased several items from lists it for $25... I almost bought both but they're numbered the same and I really should stop buying stuff!
Rectangle Gas Engineering Composite material Machine

121 - 140 of 165 Posts