Model Train Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I can't tell for sure what you have. Maybe take a picture or two with a ruler in the picture. I want to say the trains are HO but the Lionel transformer is throwing me off.
Clean everything up and post on eBay in October with a $50 starting bid is my advice.
IMHO all-in you have 2-$300 worth of trains.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for the input BigAl.
I took the locomotives to the Whistle stop in Pasadena. WOW! Nice store. Two staff members were great.
The Bachmanns all run. I bought the correct synthetic lube. I’ll take this apart and insure the contacts Points are good and clean and that there gears have no gunk build up from the old style grease. It was a good thing I didn’t run them on my dusty track.

The 7321. I really like this train. Store said it’s Marx prewar. Approx 1930s. It was frozen, but we coaxed movement out of the wheels.

The wheels grudgingly spin, but on track the AC current goes “open loop.” That’s what the train ship told me.

Are there some specific things I should look for? I’m going to do a cleaning with 90 isopropyl and attempt a light disassembly.

I wish my interests were held by the Bachman trains that worked right out of the box, but the character of this cast train is remarkable to me. I guess I’ll watch some YouTube vids and start a thread for just that train.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Can you give some more information about the magazines like how many?
I have years 2003 to 2009 model railroader. I’d like $10 a year. I also have 2 big layout magazine issues, and one of the magazines is the 75th anniversary issue. Shipping would be actual cost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Can you give some more information about the magazines like how many?
I have years 2003 to 2009 model railroader. I’d like $10 a year. I also have 2 big layout magazine issues, and one of the magazines is the 75th anniversary issue. Shipping would be actual cost.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
You guys know that for what you're asking for the magazines, you can get MR's digital access, which gives you every issue ever published in digital form.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Perhaps you feel I’m profiteering? I thought the price was reasonable. I’m new to your forum. But not new to internet boards. Out of curiosity, if I put this on another board, are you going to follow around with your post about internet access?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your price for magazines is entirely fair. You might not get it, but it's in the ballpark.

You guys know that for what you're asking for the magazines, you can get MR's digital access, which gives you every issue ever published in digital form.
This isn't in the sale forum but it's generally poor form to redirect to an alternate option on the same thread where someone has posted a priced item.

Would you post that if this was the sales forum?

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
It's generally poor form to ask people to pay more than something is worth, even if it's done innocently. I don't believe that a sale should be based on taking advantage of one party's lack of information. Same reason you would read Consumer Reports Magazine, or watch YouTube videos on how to avoid getting ripped off by car dealers, loan companies, etc.

Would I stalk the sales forum posting that kind of information? No.

If I were advising someone on how to get rid of something, like here, I would do it unhesitatingly. The seller, and potential buyer, deserve to have all the relevant information.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You forget something.... let me clarify

“If I were advising someone on how to get rid of something, like here, I would do it unhesitatingly. The seller, and potential buyer, deserve to have all the relevant information...AS I SEE FIT.”

Given your post count, I give respect for what is likely very good knowledge learned through years of experience.
I’m putting this away, but what a way to say hello.

Edward

·
Registered
780 Posts
Come on CT,
You're a good guy, always willing to help and I respect you. However, I'm incredulous that you're really going to argue that 83 cents per issue is "taking advantage" and too much to ask for hard copies of magazine back issues.

@Jennedp,
$10 is a fair price per year though truthfully they'd probably sell faster at half that. As has been said, magazines can be hard to sell these days, but there are folks out there that want to complete collections and some still like paper copies. I've paid between 10 cents and $2 each for back issues at train shows and model shops.

Shipping is a bit of an issue as shipping one year can cost as much to ship as you're asking. One tip that might help:
If you do find a buyer, even though you can't send magazines via "Media Mail" you can fit 3-4 years of MR in a medium sized USPS flat-rate box.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts