Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, so basically you know the story. I'm new and I need help.

I'm currently on break from college (and by break I mean working full-time to pay the bills) For my free time i needed a great hobby and I've always wanted to get into train building. So I purchased what I could afford on E-Bay and am waiting for it to arrive. My question is based on the pictures, what do I have track wise, and what can I do with it?

Space is a big issue as I live in a guest room and whatever my model is it basically needs to fit under the bed when I'm not around (I guarantee it will be well protected.) So based on the pictures how small could i go while still having an interesting setup? Do i need different track?

If you have any advice it's greatly appreciated! Also i assume that out of ignorance i'm leaving out a lot of information you need to be able to help, just let me know what you need!

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'd wait until everything comes in. The engines look like Tycos to me. The track looks to be a mix of copper and steel. The track is fine to test out all your new stuff but it would be best to get new nickel plated track for a layout. The stuff you have shown will work but requires a lot more cleanings. HO a 18" radius is the smallest you should go and that will take 36", plus an inch or two as a safety ledge. To make a circle you would be looking at a 38"x38" layout.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Everything is useful, if it runs or can be pushed/ pulled down the track :) Say the one engine is totally dead, you just turn it into a dummy engine. The few broken cars give you spare couplers and wheels. When on a budget you'll start getting creative. Don't let anyone tell you it is junk, it might be cheap and run like junk but with some tlc it can all run good. A good running item is way better then nothing.
When everything arrives and your having problems that is what MTF is here for :D Pictures go a long way in helping us help you. Besides we love pictures here.
O- yeah, Smerk nice of ya to join and welcome fellow NewJersian :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
These shots came off of a layout that's about 16" x 40", using less than half the track you have and for less than $10. The buildings came from junk boxes found in yard sales, the foliage from partial bags picked up here and there for pennies.

And yes...toy train set "junk" can still look great on it...

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
Hey Shay you know this is a double post right?
Edit,
Never mind I see it was fixed now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! that looks great! Now, pardon me for displaying my ignorance, but i believe you can't do a loop in a 40 by 16 correct? how does that work?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Smerk,

(Shay always offer incredible inspiration!)

I suggest you download the free starter version of AnyRail track layout software. Easy to use, and the freebie version lets you build with up to 50 pieces of track. The software has an in-depth library of different track gauges, mfrs, etc. Your old HO is pretty basic, and you should be able to try out some layout options fairly easily ...

www.anyrail.com

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smerk,

I suggest you download the free starter version of AnyRail track layout software. Easy to use, and the freebie version lets you build with up to 50 pieces of track. The software has an in-depth library of different track gauges, mfrs, etc. Your old HO is pretty basic, and you should be able to try out some layout options fairly easily ...

www.anyrail.com

Cheers,

TJ
I would, but I own a Mac...Know of any solutions?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Hmmm ...

Good question. Other track software packages are SCARM and Atlas' Right Track, but I'm pretty sure those are PC based, too.

Wish I could offer more.

(I merged your two parallel threads into one. In general, we shy away from parallel threads ... too confusing with responses and posts in two differnent places.)

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I posted here then i noticed the beginners area but couldn't find out how to delete this one...thanks!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Wow! that looks great! Now, pardon me for displaying my ignorance, but i believe you can't do a loop in a 40 by 16 correct? how does that work?

Thanks!
It's possible but I wouldn't recommend it for a newcomer as it takes finessing and tinkering with small equipment to do such tight curves Mine is a point-to-point switching layout that can take hours to solve, a puzzle of sorts...called an Inglenook Siding. you start with a four car train and three cars on the right siding and two in the middle. You then draw four cars out of a bag (tiles or buttons marked for cars in the sidings). You play by switching out the cars in your train for the ones in the sidings, making sure you put them in you train in the order they were drawn...it can take a good bit of brain power and finessing to finish out one trick...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
every thing you get/have is useful, even the low cost Tycos are useful, they may not run well but they will at least get you started till you have enough $$$ to get something better to work with...I started out with some really junky Tyco trains and after i got a few better ones I put them in the parts box (most of them are dead anyways) but the ones that do work (kinda) I still run them from time to time...

I would, but I own a Mac...Know of any solutions?
could always put bootcamp on your mac and then windows on that, or do a PC emulator type deal...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello all, so basically you know the story. I'm new and I need help.

I'm currently on break from college (and by break I mean working full-time to pay the bills) For my free time i needed a great hobby and I've always wanted to get into train building. So I purchased what I could afford on E-Bay and am waiting for it to arrive. My question is based on the pictures, what do I have track wise, and what can I do with it?

Space is a big issue as I live in a guest room and whatever my model is it basically needs to fit under the bed when I'm not around (I guarantee it will be well protected.) So based on the pictures how small could i go while still having an interesting setup? Do i need different track?

If you have any advice it's greatly appreciated! Also i assume that out of ignorance i'm leaving out a lot of information you need to be able to help, just let me know what you need!

Thanks!

Stephen
If you're gonna have it under the bed, its better to get Kato Unitrack or Bachmann EZ track. If you dont really care, then you can get power-loc, which is what I have and it works just fine for a layout under the bed (I have 2 loops under mine :D!!!). You need a little more rolling stock so that you can have more than one train going at the same time. The good thing about 4 axel diesels is that they run just fine on 18 inch radius, which perfectly suits your space limitations.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Smerk,

www.anyrail.com

Cheers,

TJ
how much for the full thing? and does it run on mac?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyrail is for Windows platforms only and the full version is around 60 bucks.

XtrackCad is free with no limit and can be used on Macs but the program has a harder learning curve.
http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/MacOS ...user friendly. One of the best tools for MRR.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I went to that Inglenook Siding after it was mentioned on the forum last year. The darned thing liked to have driven me to the Chatahootchee nut house. Some tough probs there. Pete

1 - 20 of 42 Posts