Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 13 feet in length and 3.5 feet wide (it's up against a wall and 3.5 feet is about all I can lean over). The turns are tight (15" 30 degrees and 18" 30 degrees). The Anyrail program is great except there are a few things I haven't figured out yet like exactly how to bend the flex to make the rail yard look decent and how to add on to the board without making the addition look so dark. ??
Opinions welcome!!!
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/smawgunner/2007_0724ring0001.jpg

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Looks good. I have a 15" turn in my layout. Be careful on the length of the rolling stock you plan to run. 50 foot or less cars work best. Anything larger will require that the couplers be mounted on the trucks to avoid derailing. Also do not plan to run steamers larger than 2-6-2s. Most steamers that are X-8-X will bind on the corners. The Tyco locos are an exception to this.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
first of all, 18R will restrict you to very short equipment. i would avoid 15 like a plague. i'd try to for for bigger if at all posible radius .
your yard - would go for a ladder instead of diamond. meaning one turnout from main leading into yard and branching into ladder. or even compound ladder to squish another car or two.
notice, you have 2 reversing loop instances. if you insist that you really want them i'd definitely recommend DCC. you will need 2 auto reversing circuits to prevent short
overall the given space IMHO calls for a dog bone layout. but it is up to you obviously

EDIT;
can you post your space limitations?
i'm not master planner but i might have couple of ideas for you. (will sit down with Anyrail bit later)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are correct on the 15. I'm going to modify to an 18". I'm only going to be running one engine at a time but I want the option of doing the loop clockwise then counter-clockwise if needed without backing up/removing.
My space limitations cause me to have only 3.5 feet of depth. The wall is 13 feet long. I can expand the add on to the right of the rectangle to 3.5 feet deep as well to accommodate for the 18" curve.
But yeah, I'd love for you to see what you can come up with.
Allen

first of all, 18R will restrict you to very short equipment. i would avoid 15 like a plague. i'd try to for for bigger if at all posible radius .
your yard - would go for a ladder instead of diamond. meaning one turnout from main leading into yard and branching into ladder. or even compound ladder to squish another car or two.
notice, you have 2 reversing loop instances. if you insist that you really want them i'd definitely recommend DCC. you will need 2 auto reversing circuits to prevent short
overall the given space IMHO calls for a dog bone layout. but it is up to you obviously

EDIT;
can you post your space limitations?
i'm not master planner but i might have couple of ideas for you. (will sit down with Anyrail bit later)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
i highly recommend to get the "track planning for realistic operation" book. it is extremely helpful asset

here is a very quick one. i just crashed last night. it is not perfect as the matter of fact it is not suggestion of "do that!" it is still have the problem of reach. i'm rather trying to demonstrated couple concepts. as such i left out your addon piece (that is very usefull and i will take advantage of it next)

here you have passing siding on top. the train that is getting reversed will not interupt the flow. on the yard you have 4 storage trucks and a short lead/departure line where you going to build your consist. this will allow you to work without "fouling the main" if sufficient lead length allowed.

notice the sections in red is flex track stretched beyoud its natural size . doimg this to conserve pieces to stay within the trial limit :)

i will followup with more ideas later today

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good. How did you get the pictured imbedded in the post? Also, what switches are you using for the yard?
Allen

i highly recommend to get the "track planning for realistic operation" book. it is extremely helpful asset
here is a very quick one. i just crashed last night. it is not perfect as the matter of fact it is not suggestion of "do that!" it is still have the problem of reach. i'm rather trying to demonstrated couple concepts. as such i left out your addon piece (that is very usefull and i will take advantage of it next)
here you have passing siding on top. the train that is getting reversed will not interupt the flow. on the yard you have 4 storage trucks and a short lead/departure line where you going to build your consist. this will allow you to work without "fouling the main" if sufficient lead length allowed.
notice the sections in red is flex track stretched beyoud its natural size . doimg this to conserve pieces to stay within the trial limit :)
i will followup with more ideas later today

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
and just to stress a point - if you like your own design- by all means go for it.

all switches are atlas custom #4.
to attach pictures i upload it into my photo hosting service (proud fotki.com user ) and then embed link to it into post with Picture tags.

ok perhaps a long shot but here is another idea. dog bone basically.again, not saying "build this!" just another concept demo.

minimum radius is 22. you still have a yard, with dedicated engine spur (with some facilities perhaps) and reversing loop. i assumed you have access from all sides but the top. you have room to add more switches for more yard lines ie, i didn't put runaround into it and it can be arranged completley in a different way. yard can be moved to the long straight back line bu then it will be not as easy to reach and as such IMO not the best staging area. i'll followup shortly.

and guys, don't let me be the only guy suggesting stuff. lets hear it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good stuff. It fits along the back wall of the basement so I only have access to the front. The left and right side and back are all walls. That's why I went with the 3.5 feet of reach.

Mission accomplished..thanks TMan.

Also, Look at this picture...the far right of the layout. I can't seem to find a runout that you can use in a curve that will compensate or exchange for a curve piece. It throws everything off.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Allen, with photo bucket just copy the url and use the postcard and paste. Delete the http already in the box before pasting and the photo will show. I normally use a medium quality at photobucket a lot of users have trouble with larger pictures.

Anton, what is the program you are using for the layouts? I think I missed that post.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Also, Look at this picture...the far right of the layout. I can't seem to find a runout that you can use in a curve that will compensate or exchange for a curve piece. It throws everything off.
well the right snap switch you used in the apex of right half loop will come as close to 18R section that you would use. snap switch has effective radius* of ~18 while custom #4 around 24. but in reality you will be able to close that loop almost without cheating.

Anton, what is the program you are using for the layouts? I think I missed that post.
anyrail

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
in reality that turnout near which you have dijoint is held by 2 flextracks. you can just flex them to conform a bit. also make your first track in the yard connect back to the main, that will be your run-around/staging/arival/departure track. much more functionality you could also start the ladder bit to the left by removing straight section between your return loop and yard ladder (se the very first diagram)

well, even with 18R an resulting ~40 inch depth this will be quite a reach. make sure:
1. your table low enough
2. you have step/stool to get on to reach further
3. make sure you posses sufficient height :)

EDIT:
and BTW, do you have to have such yard?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
not to burst your bubble, but IMHO the reach will be excruciating, perhaps it will make you lose interest. if the top right corner will experience derailments (and there is posibility) and it is over 4 feet to reach. also the 2 paired turnouts on middle right. getting up there to rerail let alone maintain will not be fun to say the least. and then you talking about bridges which imply elevation change. this for sure will not be smooth

that S curve on the right (red reverse section) makes me shiver. i would expect nastiness there all the time

you never said what do you want of your layout. continuous operation, switching, yard, operating, etc?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not to burst your bubble, but IMHO the reach will be excruciating, perhaps it will make you lose interest. if the top right corner will experience derailments (and there is posibility) and it is over 4 feet to reach. also the 2 paired turnouts on middle right. getting up there to rerail let alone maintain will not be fun to say the least. and then you talking about bridges which imply elevation change. this for sure will not be smooth
that S curve on the right (red reverse section) makes me shiver. i would expect nastiness there all the time
you never said what do you want of your layout. continuous operation, switching, yard, operating, etc?
You may be right. I may have to rethink the length and leave a foot or so to squeeze between the wall and the right side. Could put a trap door in but that's a pain. The layout is going to be a basement recreation thing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Okay guys, I sliced off a foot on one side. That'll give me about a foot and maybe a half to slide between the table and the wall to pick up/fetch pieces...which won't happen because I'll do such a great job building this...it'll be perfect:laugh::laugh::laugh: It'll also give me access to the bottom right portion on both sides so I expanded that to 4 feet allowing me a 22" radius.

This Anyrail program is pretty darn cool :smokin:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Looking good Allen.

Do you have any ideas about what kind of industry might be served on the layout?

Something I like about this design is that due to the dual reverse loops it is more realistic as far as actual train operations go - point to point. Or you can go around the loop :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts