Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have an EMD series loco - I'm not sure which one it is, although I'm fairly certain it is in the SD series. Could any one confirm this please.

I have attached some photos of the shell, which has been stripped prior to respraying in my own colour scheme. I believe it is a Life Like model.

Thanks for any help. Ian
IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Looks to be a GP-38-2.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I concur.......GP-38-2......

GP’s had 4 axles, SD’s had six.....pics of the chassis and wheels would confirm.....

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I am absolutely impressed that you guys could look at a shell with no trucks and make the call. (y)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
It seems a little short for six wheel trucks and it has three fans. I've seen enough of those operated by the IC to pretty much ID them on sight.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The 2 radiator fans and the square raised box just ahead of the dynamic brake blister is a dead give-away for the GP-38-2.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am absolutely impressed that you guys could look at a shell with no trucks and make the call. (y)
Just a comment on that. After I posted my original post, I thought whether I should have left the shell on chassis, but decided to leave it as it was, as I knew that someone here would be able to tell what it was.

As a back story, I bought the model from ebay, cost me about $AUD60. I didn't like the colour scheme on it - the previous owner had repainted it - the paint job was pretty rough. So I thought it could be a "candidate" for my own colour scheme. Now I wasn't sure whether to paint/spray over it or strip it back to its original colour. I searched on Youtube and there were plenty of videos, but not many I was happy to follow, until I came across one from a "gaming addict" - and since then I found other videos from people using the same method. He used a common disinfectant product sold here in Australia and the UK. I don't know if it is sold in USA, but BOY did it do the job! Its name is Dettol.

Whoever thought such a product would do the job. It doesn't affect the clear parts on the shell, windows etc., which I was more concerned about as there a portions of clear sections in the inside below the roof which help to send the headlight and rear light to the respective ends of the shell. And it wasn't affected at all. (See first photo, 2nd row.)

I am attaching some photos of the Dettol label, the original paint job, and the part where the light is transmitted to front and rear.

Sorry for slightly off-topic comment. Once it is all completed I will add a decoder to the chassis. I don't think there should be any complications with the motor as it APPEARS to be isolated from chassis. Photos also attached. (See photos 2 & 3, 2nd row.) Due to the small amount of space to put a decoder in, I will have to search the Digitrax web site for one that will fit width wise. (My system is Digitrax powered.)

IMG_2780.JPG IMG_2781.JPG IMG_2782.JPG IMG_2784.JPG IMG_2857.JPG IMG_2860.JPG IMG_2862.JPG IMG_2863.JPG IMG_2865.JPG

Thanks for being patient with this reply. Ian.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I typed the name Dettol into the Google search bar, and in the info box that came up on the right side was this line: "Markets: Worldwide (except the United States) ". So apparently we can't get it here.
It's good that you found something that worked well for you. I look forward to seeing it when it's painted!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There's no need to see the trucks to identify the shell. A GP shell won't fit onto an SD frame and vice-versa.

GP series have four-axle trucks but also a shorter frame and body.

SD series have six-axle trucks, which requires an overall longer frame to fit. The body is also a bit bigger as extra traction motors means a larger dynamic brake section (if the engine has DB) and SDs have two fans on the DB instead of one which makes for a really obvious spotting feature even without eyeballing the frame length.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts