Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So. I saw a line of these standing on a siding. What do they haul in general? The 'webbing' runs down the center, leaving carrying space on either side.
Sorry the photo isnt all that great. It was a driveby shot...

TIA

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, cool. Thanks for answering folks. I kinda thought thats what they were for. 4' wide/deep loads of varying lengths. Dimensional lumber especially. Logical. Wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
How do they stack plywood in there then? Are they stood up on their sides?
Stacked flat, with the long edges to the inside and outside. The floor of the car has a slight v shape with the center partition at the lowest point, which helps the loads stay secure. These cars are loaded with a forklift; the packs of wood that are loaded generally arrive in the lumber yard in the same packaging.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Oh god, it just occurred to me that sheets of plywood are only 4' wide. For some reason the 8' dimension was stuck firmly in my head, and I didn't see how they would fit. Ah well, thanks CT.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
How do they stack plywood in there then? Are they stood up on their sides?
Depends on the grade of plywood though. Most plywood, particle board, and oriented strandboard (OSB) will be shipped in boxcars to protect it from the elements. However here's a good example of an unwrapped OSB load of a flat:

Other loads of OSB or plywood on flats might be almost indistinguishable from bundles of 8' stud lumber if they're wrapped in plastic sheet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts