Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing various features and not sure which matter for O scale modeling. Ignoring the bigger table construction jobs, when it comes to customizing/repairing rolling stock, buildings and scenery, what features matter? Is there a difference in glues?

This Surebonder CL-195F is at the top of my list for having the long reaching detail tip, mini overall size and battery-less cord free operation.

Other features I see but don't know about:
  1. Low temp units vs Hi temp units
  2. Interchangable tips
  3. Full size high wattage units
  4. Screw it, get one of each

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I’ve never really looked into glue guns. Before I saw this thread, I thought they were all pretty much the same. I have a Stanley GR25 dual heat. It says 80 watts, so I guess low heat is 40 watts. It has a built-in folding stand that does not work well. I’ve burnt myself a few times when inadvertently using it on high. My biggest complaint about glue guns is they almost always leave tiny strings of glue when you remove them from the work.

I like some of the features on that Surebonder like the fine tip, cordless operation and a stand that looks like it will actually work. I think I will follow your option #4 and pick up a smaller gun. I’ll have to do some research and watch this thread to see what others suggest.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
the option to have a choice of regular temperature and 'low' temperature is nice to have, but not a 'have to have' ..
i noticed on putting in some trees that the low temperature still melted the glue, but seemed to set firmly quite a bit quicker, needing less 'hands on' time ..

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
I never like the low temp setting on the glue gun. If i need more glue it never seams to heat up fast enough to use it. But its a 16 dollar investment. Get it use it and you will see if it fits your needs or not. I dont think you need 2 glue guns.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a little craft model with dual settings (15w and 25w). I use the 25w setting to heat up faster and then turn it down. I like that one linked because it's wireless and may buy it 'just because'.

Just for information, the higher watt models use bigger sticks. I haven't needed more than a dab of glue for my tasks yet.

·
Admin
43,198 Posts
I have a little gun and a big gun, both fairly cheap. They work fine for the stuff I do. I use the little one enough that I bought a second one in case it craps out (one did). All the wizz-bang features don't make a lot of sense to me, I just want it to melt the glue to dispense it and not drip all over my table!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts