Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,446 Posts
22 should be fine. 20 I think is heavy. A gateman is only momentary except for the bulb.

One power wire goes to coil and bulb. center rail source

A second wire from bulb goes to the other transformer power line.

Then the second coil line goes to the insulated rail, You can use a CTC contact.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nervous gateman

How do I calm him down? He comes out then goes back in, then comes half way out again, then back in. He does this multiple times. Is this because I had the shack powered directly to the insulated track, as opposed to the transformer?
I want him to come fully out one time as the train passes, stay out and then go back in and stay in.

BTW is using stranded steel wire ok?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Steel wire? Only for runs of a few inches and even then its asking for trouble. Find some copper wire. Are you sure its steel and not just tinned copper? Does a magnet attract it?

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
Hey bud , how have you been, how long is the train your running over it? It might just need more cars. It sounds if the track is breaking circuit while the train is running over it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Automatic Gateman needs a lot of attention

Well, I just sent for the wire. When I get it I'll see what it's made of. It was cheap, so I may have wasted my money. Everybody liked it, but one guy said it was steel. I'll get some cooper (braided or solid?). Solid wire seems easier to work with, especially when re-wiring lighting in cars were you need to push it through that little hole before soldering.

I only have one track section that's insulated. How many is best (2---3?) My train is loco, tender and three or four passenger cars.

I often read to use a separate power source for your accessories. Just what is a separate power source? Another transformer?

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
1 track should be enough, i use braided copper wire, it bends easy. Check the conections maybe something is loose and jiggling when the train goes by?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,446 Posts
Passenger cars can be long. You need one truck, all the time on the insulated track to keep the gateman out. On such a little accessory the wire would have be pretty crappy.

The gateman can be track powered.

To convince me of the wire problem stop the train in front of the gateman and see if he can make up his mind on staying out or just dancing.

Actually try it without an engine. Just roll the cars across with power to the track.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not enough power

Okay, the problem is the gateman works good if the train is going way too fast. At moderate speed it's not getting enough power and doesn't come completely out.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,446 Posts
OK just run the power line from the accessory terminal to the light. The common or outer rail is the same for both, normally U, depending on the transformer

This link is the instruction for the gateman.
A modern gateman has a light so an extra wire comes from the shack to ground the bulb and leave it on.

gateman

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
needed a heavier train

Okay, I switched to a heavy diesel and the gateman works perfectly. Now, if I could just get the diesel horn to sound consistently.
Ughhhhh, It's always something. I spend more time fixing than running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts