Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Does anyone know what liquid smoke is? It looks like mineral oil to me, but I'm not sure.
From CTT,

Solid and liquid
Lionel was the only company to develop and market a solid smoke pellet. All but the pellets produced in 1946 were made from a secret waxy compound called meta-terphenyl. A. C. Gilbert and Marx always used smoke fluid. Lionel began using smoke fluid in 1957, and today, owners of postwar smoke-pellet locomotives often convert them to use smoke fluid.

Manufacturers seldom specify the exact chemical properties of their smoke fluids, but the fluids associated with Lionel, MTH, K-Line, and Williams are all oils of varying viscosity. Manufacturers tend to recommend only certain fluids in their smoke units, which likewise vary slightly in design from one train maker to another.

Read the whole thing?
http://ctt.trains.com/en/Collecting/Best of CTT/2010/09/Smoke Pellets.aspx

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
TJ
notice the part, Lionel started liquid in 1957.
I never knew it was that early.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"First, the specially shaped headlight bulb that heated an ammonium nitrate pellet below the smokestack was somewhat fragile and relatively expensive to manufacture. Second, during operation the entire pellet melted at once, and if the locomotive were turned upside down, molten material would spill out. (Ammonium nitrate melts at 338°F.)"
:laugh: Suck it up junior. It's just a molten ammonium nitrate burn.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Smokestack,

Neat info. Ties into a conversation over on T-Man's Scout thread.

Ed ... good eye on the 1957. Thanks for the info in the Scout thread. So, sounds like OIL for my unit.

I just love the info swap here on the forum ... great stuff!

TJ

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Anton,

Interesting.

As a sidenote, I helped my son build a Cub Scouts 'Space Derby' flying rocking-on-a-string thing some months back ... rubber band powered. The tips said to soak the rubber band in glycerin to increase its flexibility and durability. I hunted around to see where to buy some, but in the end, couldn't find the stuff at any local hardware stores, drug stores, etc. Instead, we used hand lotion to soften the rubber band ... most hand lotions have glycerin as their primary ingredient.

Where does one buy pure glycerin? (Other than smoke fluid, if that's the case?)

TJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you add a bit of 'nitro' to the glycerine....you'll get more than smoke out of that stack.

(Disclamer: Don't do that)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
I haul food grade Glycerin, non hazardous, non placarded, goes into food grade products.

I will have to get me some next time I pick it up.
What is it mixed with to make the smoke fluid?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ed the mix is with 9 parts Distilled Water to 1 part Glycerin. The Glycerin should be Anhydrous. Start with drops . Put some in a tin plate after you mix it up, before you try it in Engine. You may want to try 2:9 for a little more density. I use a small tea light candle to test the formula. Placed about 2 inches below the formula mix on the tin plate.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Ed the mix is with 9 parts Distilled Water to 1 part Glycerin. The Glycerin should be Anhydrous. Start with drops . Put some in a tin plate after you mix it up, before you try it in Engine. You may want to try 2:9 for a little more density. I use a small tea light candle to test the formula. Placed about 2 inches below the formula mix on the tin plate.

Yes the stuff I pick up is 100% Glycerin.
Where do you get it? Can you buy it somewhere?

I will grab a sample bottle full next time I pick it up, another driver just went the other day to pickup 3000 gals to be drummed off.

How long does it take for it to heat up when your testing?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Wow! 3000 gallons. That's a lot of smoke fluid. I get mine at Rite Aid. Pay about $5.49 for a bottle. I noticed that about 20 seconds or so with the candle test starts a small amount of smoke rising. You can make a tin cup out of aluminum foil and it'll heat up faster.
Now remember, you won't have a fan or a piston pump driving it, so don' t think that it's not working. It is cooking.

Patrick

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
WOW! Sounds like a mad scientist thread going here. Ask Timmothy Mcvey about ammonium nitrate. That's what he used to blow up the Federal building in Kansas City I think it was. I wouldn't use any of that stuff in an engine. Maybe the glycerin would be safer. pete

1 - 20 of 31 Posts