Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It might be scratch built, but I’m not ready to suggest that. Is it plastic or metal? Is it possible to get a photo of the underside? It looks like it could very well be made of brass, by one of the Korean companies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be scratch built, but I’m not ready to suggest that. Is it plastic or metal? Is it possible to get a photo of the underside? It looks like it could very well be made of brass, by one of the Korean companies.
As of right now I’m still at work. But aside from the empty coupler mounts, there’s just a very small weight on the bottom, underneath both of the trucks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
How it was designed may yield a clue. Sounds like it has weights on the bottom of the trucks? Or I misunderstood. Sounds odd.
Did Roco make freight cars? If so this is the kinda thing I'd expect from them.

Reactions: Chops

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s the bottom of the car. The coupler mount looks somewhat familiar? I wanted to say Athearn earlier, but I can’t find any Athearn cars in my rolling stock that have the same mount

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Those look similar to Kadee coupler box covers having been glued on. Except they’re a little different from ones I’m familiar with. They jut out beyond the box end. In the photo you can see the area I mean right above the axle. Looks like, to me, Kadee covers glued on backwards and upside down.
Uhm.
I’m stumped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those look similar to Kadee coupler box covers having been glued on. Except they’re a little different from ones I’m familiar with. They jut out beyond the box end. In the photo you can see the area I mean right above the axle. Looks like, to me, Kadee covers glued on backwards and upside down.
Uhm.
I’m stumped.
Right?? And there is a weight on it, but it barely does anything. When I got the box, it felt empty! There could be a manufactering label underneath the “weight” but I don’t want to tamper with it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Uhm.
I’m stumped.
Actually…. Do you think it could be an old Kadee kit?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I feel confident it is scratch built, both by looking at the bottom and not finding anything similar on ebay.
My first thought was it is used to move those trucks with railroad wheels in a maintenance train then let them unload. The x in the serial number would support that would it not?
All the pics I could find showed normal flatcars for hauling tanks, both modern and WW2 except one German one, with the bumpers.
Coupler pockets are definitely Kadee parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not Roco. It would be stamped on the bottom.

They are also not NEM coupler pockets. They remind me of the old Athearn F hooks mounts that use a metal clip to retain the coupler.
You see, I thought it was Athearn too, but none of my older Athearn cars, or even my newer cars have similar mounts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My first thought was it is used to move those trucks with railroad wheels in a maintenance train then let them unload. The x in the serial number would support that would it not?
My thought also. Yes.

I don't think it's for loading tanks. I don't think you would drive a tank down the tracks, on top of the rails to load it.

In the first video there are makeshift timber grade crossings. I'll assume to keep the tanks from damaging the tracks, because a tank could surely traverse the tracks w/o them.

Second video has a bit of humor starting at 2:00

Third video says "unloading", but it's actually loading. Pretty interesting and some good camera work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update. I was looking at the underside of the car, near the rear ramps, and I noticed the lack of the gray paint. The spot looks very similar to a 3D printer material, which could then mean, it was either professionally printed, or it’s some weird kit

1 - 20 of 50 Posts