Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a websit that will help ID Loco's and Rolling stock. I am trying to figure out what I have.

Please Post your stuff here if you have ID questions.

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a stong puller. I have never seen a proto type of this. Most of them have differant hood shape. Is there a real UP70?

There are no markings as to who made it. 16 wheel drive, 16 wheel power.

I got it in the early 70s, I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Is there a real UP70?
There was a real UP 70 and it looks like that engine... You can see a few pictures here... Warning, two of the pictures show her in the scrap yard and may not be appropriate for people under the age of 18 :( ;)

That is an EMD DD35A locomotive... Here is the Wikipedia page so you can read up on it a little...

----------

Here is your NS locomotive... That is an EMD GP38-2, and here is the Wikipedia page...

----------

This website is a great resource for identifying locomotives of the big railroads: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/railroadList.aspx

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
There is a book that I have that I bought at a local train show. It gives the rosters of every railroad in the country, pretty much. It is called "The Official 2009 Locomotive Rosters & News", which is the new book. Mine is a couple of years old. I believe that they retail for around $30 and can be found from Walthers.

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There was a real UP 70 and it looks like that engine... You can see a few pictures here... Warning, two of the pictures show her in the scrap yard and may not be appropriate for people under the age of 18 :( ;)
That is very sad thing to see. As a Kidd i loved the Engine.

That is an EMD DD35A locomotive... Here is the Wikipedia page so you can read up on it a little...
Thanks Boston, Great info. I never knew what it was I always thought it was a DD40A. I still do not know who made my model.

This website is a great resource for identifying locomotives of the big railroads: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/railroadList.aspx
That is a great site. It will keep me busy for a wile.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Your UP engine looks like an Athearn DD40. The trucks look like they are metal and the wheelsets look like classic Athearn sintered iron...

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's it! Thanks and that is a great photo.

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found better lighting for my train pics.

This is a Rivarossi model. Any ides of what? When this madel was made? My gess 70's.

Thanks John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the answer is

Thanks for the help, Boston & Maine, and Stationmaster.

I looked at pics of both with the model in my hand. The two were very close. There are some details that are hard to see in the pics. of my model. It is a GE U25C.

I found a Proto type that I want to paint it like.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=324678
I found it on the RR pic. site the B&M told me about.

Southern, And Seaboard Cost line ran through Charlotte when i was a kid. Atlantic cost line is a close match in color.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts