Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Thought I'd prod you guys for what passenger trains you're modeling. I'm always fascinated by what kinds trains people have, old or new. Tell us why you model that train also!

I'm modeling the modern Empire Builder, after an amazing train trip I took with the family. The train grew on me. and knowing how this addiction works, I loved it so much, I modeled it.

So, I'll kick off the thread with this:
My Amtrak Empire Builder, complete with two Kato P42s and 9 Walthers plated Superliners

I also made a video of it a while ago if you guys care to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPREa0Aj4OE

In the video, just the Amtrak train is mine, not the layout. I cant afford that much ;)

Where are you guys at with your trains?

John

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'm working on a Coast Starlight from 2002. My wife and I took that train on our honeymoon. Also since my great grandfather worked for the PRR as a brakeman in 1923, and worked his way up to passenger conductor, I model the PRR passenger trains.

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
I would be embarrassed to put up a video of my Santa Fe
Desert Chief to follow your magnificient Amtrak train on that
fantastic layout. An inspirational video...thank you.

Don

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I usually have a DL109 pulling a train of heavyweight coaches around my layout. It just cruises in a circle (unless I have enough operators, in which case it can run a little faster and make station stops). It's sole purpose is to make sure the freight operators don't get sloppy about fouling the main when the passenger train has priority.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm working on an SP&S Empire Builder........it's interesting (at least to me) because it has SP&S cars, and from Spokane to Pasco it had Great Northern cars (the Portland part of the Empire Builder) and then from Pasco to Portland it had Northern Pacific cars added on. So you get a real rainbow of paint schemes .

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I'm putting together the Canadian National "Super Continental".....don't have track and all cars yet though....

Locomotives are Rapido FP9's (2) & F9B, Rapido Steam Generator, Walthers streamlined passenger cars, Walthers Baggage car, Trueline Trains Express boxcar, Walthers full dome (CN in 1964 acquired a set of six ex-Milwaukee Road "Super Dome" cars; rechristened "Sceneramics" by CN) that had formerly seen service on the Olympian Hiawatha (not shown), a Walthers ex-Olympian Hiawatha end car (also not shown), painted in the CN 1961 scheme to match, and a newly release Atlas (Branchline) Heavy-weight coach....

Here are some pics of the consist....

The 1961 CN scheme was the first scheme I had a train of as a kid.....loved it ever since.....

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
im trying to put photos up so you don't need click on links to see them still can't get right
all you gotta do is go back click edit,then click advanced edit, go up to the paper clip (by the white smile face) and click on what is there.
If you only have one picture click on the link you will see, if you have more then one you will see insert all just click on it and they will be in the thread.

After you upload the pictures, you have to go back to the paper clip a second time and click there otherwise your picture will only be a link.

go and try (the above, up in red.)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
My first crummy test video.
This is just one of my O gauge passenger sets.

Why the Milwaukee road?
Beside liking the colors I got a great deal on it. The guy needed rent money.:D

Edit,
Dam I just realized that this is HO.
Sorry

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
No worries Ed. If you didn't post I here, I never would have seen it....

Nice passenger set........bringing up the rear is the car (Skytop Lounge) I am going to put in CN colours, as CN bought them from Milwaukie Road in 1964.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm pulling 20 heavyweight cars behind either a pair of prr k-4s or gg1s.I also have around 30 streamlined cars that I run occasionally.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first crummy test video.
This is just one of my O gauge passenger sets.

Why the Milwaukee road?
Beside liking the colors I got a great deal on it. The guy needed rent money.:D

Edit,
Dam I just realized that this is HO.
Sorry
No worries! the train looks great! like that observation car at the end

John

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a Proto 2000 Rock Island E6 pulling my Rock island streamlined cars. I'm not sure if it is prototypical but they look good together. :) What makes this engine special is that my Dad bought it for me. I took him in April of this year (on his 71st birthday) to the Texas Motor Speedway to see the NASCAR Duck Dynasty 500 (he is a huge NASCAR fan). He had never been to a live NASCAR race so I was able to get two seats in the Samsung private suite including garage, pit passes and three nights hotel paid for! Anyways we made a weekend of it and we went to the train store on Saturday, I was remarking that I liked the Rock Island E6 that had been modified with a flashing Mars light and that it would look good with my Rock Island passenger cars. I had my eye on some other goodies that I needed more so while my attention was on those my Dad snuck off and had the guys box up the engine, paid for it and took it to the car without me knowing. When we got out to the car it was sitting on my seat. Yeah, needless to say this engine is special to me. :)

012.JPG

013.JPG

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dad snuck off and had the guys box up the engine, paid for it and took it to the car without me knowing. When we got out to the car it was sitting on my seat. Yeah, needless to say this engine is special to me. :)
Great story, man! Love the way that streamliner looks.
yeah, my dad is an expert at taking gifts to the car without me knowing too. it's gotta be one of those 'dad' things.

John

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Unfortunately, I really can't justify an entire train as my freelance layout is a short line/branch line, but it does connect to both the Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee Road. Neither railroad would have a reason to run on my layout, but thanks to freelance and modelers license, I run a tourist train from Logan Montana south to West Yellowstone and Yellowstone park. As a kid I rode on the North Coast limited many times and loved the train. I had relatives working on the Milwaukee Road and the Northern Pacific and we always rode in first class. Better than what AmTrack offers.

I do have enough cars for a full train, but most are put away except for a few coaches and dome cars which I use for the tourist train.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts