Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up with a Casey Jones Ten-Wheeler and it was painted with the boiler and trim maroon and the rest black. Not interested in repainting but does anyone know an appropriate railroad for decals? My layout isn't a specific railroad.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
The famous Casey Jones was an engineer for
the Illinois Central Railroad. Maybe that's the
road for you.

Don

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
The Casey Jones Ten Wheeler set was an old Bachmann set. While the locos looked like yours, they were one solid color, so you're likely looking at someone's custom paint job.

That's not a model of a real locomotive anyway, so I'd say just pick something and run with it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Casey Jones Ten Wheeler set was an old Bachmann set. While the locos looked like yours, they were one solid color, so you're likely looking at someone's custom paint job.

That's not a model of a real locomotive anyway, so I'd say just pick something and run with it.
I think it's a Tyco. It's green inside the boiler shell.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes it may be the IC. But since there is no RR name on the tender, give it whatever name you like, or leave it blank. The black wire and motor tells me it's older analog DC. If you are now, or going to change to DCC, you'll have to either mothball her or, add a decoder, and speaker for sound. :cool:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Rivarossi probably has the best representation of that locomotive, at least they got the color, turrets, and bell right. Probably the best sales record too, No problem finding them. The wheel arraignment on your model is way off from what old Casey's 382 had.

My vote would be for Illinois Central. Lot's to choose from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes, it may be the IC, but being there's no RR name on her, you could add any name you like or, leave it blank or repaint the whole thing (I'd sand it down first)..
Because of the thick black wire and the motor filling the cab, I'm sure it's earlier analog DC. If you are or are planning to go DCC, you'll have to mothball her or add a decoder. With sound, you'll have to add a speaker, too (maybe even change to a can motor)..lot's of work and $$ says it taint worth it...
Unrelated: I never noticed how nice and low the rail code (height in thousands of an inch) this panel track has..Almost looks like code 70 !

Addendum: This post was meant to be under the top, maroon loco pic. How it got here I dunt know..

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rivarossi probably has the best representation of that locomotive, at least they got the color, turrets, and bell right. Probably the best sales record too, No problem finding them. The wheel arraignment on your model is way off from what old Casey's 382 had.

My vote would be for Illinois Central. Lot's to choose from there.
My only concern with the Riv model is the overly deep flanges on 382; not able to traverse anything lower than archaic code 100 rail and old horn hook couplers..
All else looks very good; tender trucks/sides, clerestory roof...(cab grab irons iffy)...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Found it! Chicago and Alton. It's originally a Tyco Ten Wheeler. After insulating the tender lead from the motor and pulling a piece of broken drill bit out of the rotor the engine runs, unfortunately like most of my engines better in reverse than forward. Also it derails on right hand turns, maybe because one of the drivers is bent, just a bit... Not fond of #4 switches. Anyway, fixing up old train equipment is fun even if it will never be cost effective.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
I ended up with a Casey Jones Ten-Wheeler and it was painted with the boiler and trim maroon and the rest black. Not interested in repainting but does anyone know an appropriate railroad for decals? My layout isn't a specific railroad.
Murv 2 railroad :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts