Model Train Forum banner

What scale(s) do you model?

• Total voters
1 - 40 of 229 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,265 Posts
Sorry I didn't notice that you can still vote.
My vote (s) are in.

Now go back and delete the other one that you locked.:laugh:
Please,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi. Folks- Been a while since I've read the posts here. There's a lot of interesting experiences in railroading, both modelling and prototype here, and that's why this is the best site I've seen. Anyway. the Missus got her new dishwasher, I got a few pieces of lumber, and that's about as far as I've got in my re-build of of the O A & P S. Here in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada, there is a major railroad restoration project taking place to restore the Canada Southern station, or CASO, as we locals call it. If all things go right, there should be a room dedicated strictly for kids to try their hand at all the aspects of modelling a railroad. If the reaction to Thomas The Tank a couple of years ago is any indication of enthusiasm, then another generation of modellers and railfans is on the way. Cheers to all. Could older eyes and a slight tremor of the hand in us old(er)timers explain the popularity of O and HO? The Missus says in my case it's the eyesight 'cause I never spill a drop!

Brian-oldsteamer4

·
16,661 Posts
Could older eyes and a slight tremor of the hand in us old(er)timers explain the popularity of O and HO?
Oldsteamer --

Nice note. I'm a "middletimer", perhaps, but I think it's the nostalgia of my childhood (HO), and the elegant simplicity of the mechanics in older O (pre- & post-war Lionel, etc.) that attract me. In today's tech-driven society, where today's gizmo is quickly outdated by tomorrow's gotta-have-it, there's something rewarding to be found in tinkering with an old-school motor, armature, gearing, etc. No diodes. No chips. Some metal. Some wire. A few screws. Simple. It makes sense -- then and now -- and it got the job done ... then and now (again). Think about that ... do our kids today have any toys that might still be running strong (with some minor t.l.c.) 50+ years from now? A few, perhaps, but most are bash-and-trash throwaways.

TJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
N, F (2.5" gauge 1:24 or 1/2" to the foot scale) and 1.5" scale, 7.25" gauge. Just because you ride it, doesn't make it any less of a model railroad. We can still have operating sessions with waybills and dispatchers.

·
16,661 Posts
Reck,

While G varies a bit in scale from mfr to mfr, it generally spans that 1:24 range. From wiki ...

Wrightway Rolling Stock 1:32 and 10mm scale custom built British North American and European passenger stock.[1]
Accucraft has three scales- Fn3 is 1:20.3, Gauge 1 is 1:32, and their ½" scale is 1:24
Aristo-Craft is 1:29, “Classic” series is 1:24
Aster is 1:32
Bachmann's "Big Haulers" series is to 1:22.5, while their "Spectrum" Series is to 1:20.3 scale
Hartland Locomotive Works is 1:22.5
LGB is 1:22.5
Marklin "MAXI" is 1:32
MTH Rail-King is 1:32
USA Trains “Ultimate” Series is 1:29, “American” Series is 1:24

TJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't see 1:1!
There's a bunch of museum curators and restoration folks who also model smaller scales. Since most of us can't park 'em at home we do the little ones too. Call it extreme rubber scaling.

CraigH

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use portable show layouts and I model four scales.

I have an HO 3'x6' layout, an operating display loop with a shop complex and sand quarry. And a place for all those Matchbox cars I have.

I have a 1948 Louis Marx O-27 with 3-rail track mounted to a hollow core 36"x80" door. All original, even the headlight in the 0-4-0 loco. I display with my great-grandmother's cardboard Christmas village houses from the 1930s.

I also display and run an LGB G-scale layout (taken apart for transport), a box set loop with additional trackage. I have many antique toys I display inside the LGB loop.

I've been working on an N-scale N-Trak 2' x 4' module. Not finished with it yet.

The layouts work just fine sitting on sawhorses in the cellar, stood up out of the way when not in use, and they fit in the car for transport.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just started back into trains, but we are working on a HO scale setup and I want to put a G scale setup around the ceiling in the living room. Trying to pick up more Micro Machines trains, but they are hard to find. We have a few, but not much track and what we do have is old and starting to break more often. And once I find a replacement motor for the Lego train, we might dive into that "scale" as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well said TJ. We are definitely in a 'throw-away society. We have to be one of the most wasteful countrys anywhere.

We recycle sure, but we buy stuff way before the older stuff is worn out.

Yes, give me all the old machinery. Flathead Fords, Old Marx Toys, Marx/Lionel prewar/postwar; and lest we forget some early HO. Ah yes, life is good as long as we have more trains than we have room for. :) I am far from there, but I guess if I can't get enough before my time is up, I can collect the rest up above.

Jack

·
Registered
236 Posts
Results are as I would have guessed. I'm all HO, a result of nostalgia from when I was an early teenager with mt Santa Fe passenger and Tyco consist on a 4'x5' sheet of plywood. My older brother had a Lionel O27 on his ENORMOUS 4'x8" layout so I, being the little kid, got the smaller scale. Haven't looked back since.

·
16,661 Posts
Ha ha ... I agree ... something Arnold Schwarzenneger would say!

Actually, that's actually the term used by the spam assasin built into the Moderator tools.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,265 Posts
By the poll count it looks like the HO's are over running the site.:laugh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ed, I have so many preferences, that it gets hard. Seems like all different makes and gauges have something to offer different from the other.

I don't normally buy Lionel, because of the way prices have gotten. However, my daughter gave me a 225E loco and whistling tender, so I eventually collected several of the 800 series cars for it of all kinds. Mostly ones that do something beside ride around.

I also am into HO, as my son and his wife bought me a 1996 Monopoly set that (thanks to Bachmann's excellent communication and service) runs so smooth. Love it. Bought a pair of Bachmann Diesels (both powered) too with DCC. They run great. I do wish I had gotten sound with them, but I will just mount a diesel horn under my table with several outlets. :) My other wish is that Bachmann made some passenger cars for the Sante Fe. Seems like mostly what I see in passengers is Amtrak.

I also like Marx and bought a Commodore set, which had wheel problems when I got it, but thanks to many posters from here and one other group, they are solved.

Now, what I still want to get is a narrow gauge HO Shay loco and tender. I want to get the one with the horizontal side shaft drive. Neat train.

I would love to have some Hornby, and other nice trains, but I look at the fact that scenery is the key for me. No matter what train I am running when I get it all finished, it will look great running overhead, through tunnels, over mountains, etc. Idea being run watcha got and have a ball.

Sorry for the above book ladies/guys.

Jack

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I started my train life as a 4 yr old when my Dad brought home a Tyco Chatanooga Choo-Choo. It was the Deisel set not the steamer. The train would only come out durring X-mas and was my favorite thing every year. It even got played with after the presants were open. There were more when I was younger mostly Tyco stuff but still fun. Even after the trains stopped running under the X-mas tree I kept one of my locos on a piece of rail on my dresser, it was a Tyco GP20 BN engine, until I joined the Navy in 2001. Some time after I moved out of the baraks in 04 I started buying HO equipment for a future layout. My first engine was Athearn BB SD40-2 painted in CSX colors and my first set was a Bachmann Spectrum B&O heavyweight passenger set with a 2-8-0 Consolidation as the loco. This year that set had the honors of being this year's christmas train around our tree. I dont currently have a layout but I mainly model NS with some BNSF and CSX thown in for color.

My favorite locomotive is my Broadway Improrts Norfolk & Western Class J 611. I have a couple engines from them and they are all excelent performers, Kato is my favorite manufacturer and I have about 20 engines from them, anything from GP30s to SD90/45s and just about anything in between. My collection also contains some Atlas Gold and Silver, Life Like P2K, P1K, Athearn RTR and BB, and the only Bachmann I own is 3 steamers.

I dont have a layout at the moment but soon I will be building a round the room ceiling layout for both me and my son.

Massey

1 - 40 of 229 Posts