Model Train Forum banner

What scale(s) do you model?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,516 Posts
Sorry I didn't notice that you can still vote.
My vote (s) are in.

Now go back and delete the other one that you locked.:laugh:
Please,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi. Folks- Been a while since I've read the posts here. There's a lot of interesting experiences in railroading, both modelling and prototype here, and that's why this is the best site I've seen. Anyway. the Missus got her new dishwasher, I got a few pieces of lumber, and that's about as far as I've got in my re-build of of the O A & P S. Here in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada, there is a major railroad restoration project taking place to restore the Canada Southern station, or CASO, as we locals call it. If all things go right, there should be a room dedicated strictly for kids to try their hand at all the aspects of modelling a railroad. If the reaction to Thomas The Tank a couple of years ago is any indication of enthusiasm, then another generation of modellers and railfans is on the way. Cheers to all. Could older eyes and a slight tremor of the hand in us old(er)timers explain the popularity of O and HO? The Missus says in my case it's the eyesight 'cause I never spill a drop!

Brian-oldsteamer4

·
16,666 Posts
Could older eyes and a slight tremor of the hand in us old(er)timers explain the popularity of O and HO?
Oldsteamer --

Nice note. I'm a "middletimer", perhaps, but I think it's the nostalgia of my childhood (HO), and the elegant simplicity of the mechanics in older O (pre- & post-war Lionel, etc.) that attract me. In today's tech-driven society, where today's gizmo is quickly outdated by tomorrow's gotta-have-it, there's something rewarding to be found in tinkering with an old-school motor, armature, gearing, etc. No diodes. No chips. Some metal. Some wire. A few screws. Simple. It makes sense -- then and now -- and it got the job done ... then and now (again). Think about that ... do our kids today have any toys that might still be running strong (with some minor t.l.c.) 50+ years from now? A few, perhaps, but most are bash-and-trash throwaways.

TJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
N, F (2.5" gauge 1:24 or 1/2" to the foot scale) and 1.5" scale, 7.25" gauge. Just because you ride it, doesn't make it any less of a model railroad. We can still have operating sessions with waybills and dispatchers.

·
16,666 Posts
Reck,

While G varies a bit in scale from mfr to mfr, it generally spans that 1:24 range. From wiki ...

Wrightway Rolling Stock 1:32 and 10mm scale custom built British North American and European passenger stock.[1]
Accucraft has three scales- Fn3 is 1:20.3, Gauge 1 is 1:32, and their ½" scale is 1:24
Aristo-Craft is 1:29, “Classic” series is 1:24
Aster is 1:32
Bachmann's "Big Haulers" series is to 1:22.5, while their "Spectrum" Series is to 1:20.3 scale
Hartland Locomotive Works is 1:22.5
LGB is 1:22.5
Marklin "MAXI" is 1:32
MTH Rail-King is 1:32
USA Trains “Ultimate” Series is 1:29, “American” Series is 1:24

TJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't see 1:1!
There's a bunch of museum curators and restoration folks who also model smaller scales. Since most of us can't park 'em at home we do the little ones too. Call it extreme rubber scaling.

CraigH

1 - 20 of 231 Posts