Model Train Forum banner

What scale(s) do you model?

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I currently model in N-scale. My first model trains were a Christmas gift in 1970 when I was 6 years old. It was a Tyco train set. I stayed in HO-scale until the late 1980's when I moved from my parents house to my own apartment. They allowed me to keep my HO layout up and running in their basement. Unfortunately they moved to Nebraska in the early 1990's and since I didn't have room in the apartment I dismantled the layout and sold off all my HO equipment. I thought about trying N-scale but a cousin of mine had an N-scale layout in the late 1970's and the quality of the engines and rolling stock left a lot to be desired. After a year or so without a layout I was really wanting to get back into modeling. A club really wasn't an option for me due to my working a rotating shift. One day I was in my local hobbyshop when a customer was picking up an N-scale engine he had ordered. The shop owner put it on the test track to make sure it ran well and I was hooked. That Atlas N-scale engine was so smooth and quiet. Well I left the shop that day with a new Kato Union Pacific engine, a selection of Micro-Trains rolling stock, and Atlas track. I've been an avid N-scaler ever since. I now model the Erie Lackawanna, the Lehigh Valley, and the Delaware & Hudson railroads.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I currently model in N-scale. My first model trains were a Christmas gift in 1970 when I was 6 years old. It was a Tyco train set. I stayed in HO-scale until the late 1980's when I moved from my parents house to my own apartment. They allowed me to keep my HO layout up and running in their basement. Unfortunately they moved to Nebraska in the early 1990's and since I didn't have room in the apartment I dismantled the layout and sold off all my HO equipment. I thought about trying N-scale but a cousin of mine had an N-scale layout in the late 1970's and the quality of the engines and rolling stock left a lot to be desired. After a year or so without a layout I was really wanting to get back into modeling. A club really wasn't an option for me due to my working a rotating shift. One day I was in my local hobbyshop when a customer was picking up an N-scale engine he had ordered. The shop owner put it on the test track to make sure it ran well and I was hooked. That Atlas N-scale engine was so smooth and quiet. Well I left the shop that day with a new Kato Union Pacific engine, a selection of Micro-Trains rolling stock, and Atlas track. I've been an avid N-scaler ever since. I now model the Erie Lackawanna, the Lehigh Valley, and the Delaware & Hudson railroads.
Nice! I do N scale also. I have a kind of large layout I am working on. I do have an old HO set in a box that I just haven't had the time or room to even see if it works.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just when I thought I was crazy, Lololo. I have an HO layout in 1 room, and just started a 4x6 N Gauge in my living room. Good thing I live alone. Lolol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have some HO stock and track from the first layout I half built a couple of years ago. But with shifting cities as a result of to many earthquakes, I had to pack up my layout.
Now I'm trialling a N scale 2x4 layout, before going for a much bigger one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nice. Yeah, I originally started with a 3' x 5' N layout in our bedroom. I outgrew that pretty quickly, but mainly because I got sick of crawling in and out of bed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice. Yeah, I originally started with a 3' x 5' N layout in our bedroom. I outgrew that pretty quickly, but mainly because I got sick of crawling in and out of bed.

Well, no more doing anything on my layout for this year .

Off for two weeks, 1800 miles around the North Island by motorcycle.
Decided to start on the second layer while Sculptamold was drying on ground floor, so using stiff card to build on. I'm using drywall plugs as locating lugs.
Decided on hobo camp for workers quarters, just for something a little different.

Merry Christmas to all from deepest, darkest New Zealand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Thanks for the pix, looking good! Have safe travels on the bike. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all those down under. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Looks good. I'll be starting my two week break next Thursday. I wont be doing anything as exciting as riding 1800 miles round an island. I wont even be doing 800 miles around the desert.
You have an excellent Holiday and I'll be here to see you back on it next year.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
As I've seen suggested in this or other posts, how about if everyone goes to their profile and lists the scales that they model. That way we'll all know what we're looking at in pictures, and we won't have to ask, like in the For Sale section. It'd just make it a bit easier, I think... :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have G - O - S - 00 - ON30 - H0 - TT - HOn3 - N - Z and T engines on a table display for comparison, BUT... I do not know how to post pictures to this site.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Inserting images

I have G - O - S - 00 - ON30 - H0 - TT - HOn3 - N - Z and T engines on a table display for comparison, BUT... I do not know how to post pictures to this site.
One way is, when you lick on 'Post" there is a small grey and yellow icon at the top of the window that comes up. It looks like a mountain and sun. Click on that, then select the photo you want to post. It's been a while, but I think you can also create a gallery of your photos as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always liked HO scale. Funny thing is when I go to a hobby shop these days, I'll happen by the N scale section and admire stuff they have that hasn't been introduced to HO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
N scale

Historically, I've been into HO scale but I build most of our display models in N scale mainly to work out the bugs, and hopefully discover some tricks to pass on. To tell you the truth, I think I'm getting hooked on N scale. At first it seemed like I might be pushing my abilities, but surprisingly it's not as difficult as I thought. I don't profess to be a top-notch model builder, but you can have a look at https://www.scalemodelplans.com/smp/pgs/catalog.html (The N scale examples are mentioned.)
Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
For trains I have only dealt with HO. I would like to dabble in some HOn30 gauge goodness though. I love smaller narrow gauge steam, and I think it looks best in O scale. At some point I would even like a nice size G scale out in the back yard. Anyway, my last modeling endeavor was a trail truck loosely based off of a D90 in 1:10.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Wow, that's amazing detail! So many craftsmen here...I'm not one of them, you are! Well done. :appl:

181 - 200 of 229 Posts