Model Train Forum banner

What scale(s) do you model?

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Can you see my pics? because I can't... they didn't show up!
I can't see your pics here on the forum, but I got an email that said you'd posted in this thread, and the links to the pics were viewable through there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Craftsmen

Wow, that's amazing detail! So many craftsmen here...I'm not one of them, you are! Well done. :appl:
Give it a try. You may surprise yourself! I had built several car models over the years. My biggest problem was slowing down, and having patience. I had no idea what to expect when I started scratch building model railroad structures, but I surprised myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Give it a try. You may surprise yourself! I had built several car models over the years. My biggest problem was slowing down, and having patience. I had no idea what to expect when I started scratch building model railroad structures, but I surprised myself.
Exactly right. I scratch build out of necessity, my unwillingness to pay for expensive looking models and because I really enjoy making things. Plus, when you can make it exactly how you want it, it becomes even more satisfying. It's really not any more difficult than building a kit. Sanding covers everything. LOL!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't see your pics here on the forum, but I got an email that said you'd posted in this thread, and the links to the pics were viewable through there.
I don't know then. I posted from a third party host so maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, Thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Scratch building

Exactly right. I scratch build out of necessity, my unwillingness to pay for expensive looking models and because I really enjoy making things. Plus, when you can make it exactly how you want it, it becomes even more satisfying. It's really not any more difficult than building a kit. Sanding covers everything. LOL!
Sanding yes! An some strategically placed trees!

·
Registered
35 Posts
maybe see the pictures now? So yah, lots of scratch built stuff here.

She started as an Axial SCX10 Dingo 1:10 Scale RC kit.
It came with crappy stickers for head lights and grille, I wasn't having any of that.... It all went down hill from there and I turned a toy into somewhat of a model.

I made the hard top out of stryrene
The antenna is a guitar string and the ball is from a sewing pin
The cooler is made from stryene and various other bits
The sleeping bag and blankets are made from old shirts and show laces
The adjustable tie down straps are made from shoe laces and paper clips
The Bungee cords are hair ties and paperclips
The shackles are cut cotter pins
There's fishing polls made from BBQ skewers and other bits somewhere.
and on and on...

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
maybe see the pictures now?
That picture of the car by the mountain looks like a commercial for a jeep. That begs the question could one incorporate RC cars into a model railroad?

Also that figure kind of looks like Captain America out of his uniform. Thought that was cool.

·
Registered
714 Posts
HO is the only scale that I am actively modeling for the purpose of a train layout. However, I wargame in 10mm which is aproximately N scale and in 28/30mm which is quite close to O, and build terrain (often using those scale's kits) for both so I checked those boxes as well.

My favorite kind of modeling is 28mm sci-fi industrial and urban terrain. I make most of it from second hand toys and other junk that I kitbash and combine in interesting ways. Lots of fun. If anyone is interested in that end of things, it mostly ends up on my club's blog.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog

·
Registered
59 Posts
N-scale to fit the most in the space available!

I have an O-scale Lionel train set from 30 years ago, but don't have the space to set up a nice layout.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HO is my perfect scale.

The scale is just small enough to model some of the largest locomotives and offer a lot of layout configurations without taking up your backyard, have a lot of nice detail, but are small enough to put away when finished with. I'm a new daddy to a beautiful 6 month old baby girl, so in this small living space, there is no train room....yet!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree. Anything smaller than 1:1 is a model. :D
Yes! I always knew babies aren't real people...just model toddlers :laugh: Just joking

Seriously, I model HO but given my relatively small space I gave a lot of consideration to N scale. After more than 2 yrs. I think HO was the right choice. HO is small enough for my eyes and hands.

201 - 220 of 231 Posts