Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a couple items I may want to sell. Can you give me an idea of what I should ask?

1. 2 new in the box AF/Lionel cars. Was unable to find them anywhere on line for guidance

2. Repair manual prices all over the spectrum right up to $400(dreamers?) Book in nice shape, nice cover, no rips, tears, or loose pages 1979 edition. Photo is off the internet and not my copy.

Thanks for any info.

Rectangle Gas Font Electric blue Motor vehicle

Eye Rectangle Human body Book Publication

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info, such as item numbers off the boxes, is requested.
I will try to post that info tomorrow. Just came from heathcare facility where i enjoyed a painful procedure. Pain can really tire you out.

Not sure about the cars but I would try and get $50 for the book.
I'm not in any real hurry to sell it as I have a good bit of AF but when I saw some of those crazy prices I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something......at $300 /4$00 it would be gone quick😂

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a 48283 GE reel car for sale online with a buy it now price of $75. It is the 2004 NASG car. I agree with Flyernut on the book.
The 48214 GN caboose is the NASG 1999 car. Likely worth about the same as the GE reel car.
Thanks for the replies. I'm a passenger train guy having grown up just a short distance from the PRR 4 track main line watching GG-1's head up The Congressional and other "clockers."

Would be nice if I was lucky enough to find someone who wanted to sell a G and would accept these items as partial trade.

I also have a strong interest in vintage HO like Hobbyline and Penn Line, and have a number of AF HO locos looking for some passenger cars to pull.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Johnboy, if you are speaking of S gauge the only source of GG-1's is American Models. They are still available new with a warranty from AM for between $210 and $250 depending upon livery.Were it me I would get one new rather than try to save a few $$ buying an unknown used one. The two cars could be sold quickly for $100 plus $50 for the repair manual.
I imagine there are plenty of HO GG-1's to be had. same with passenger cars. The Gilbert cars are available for sale once in a while as well.
My layout models the PRR in the Pittsburgh area. No GG-1's because there is no catenary in western Pa. I was just there two weeks ago and visited the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. Only thing is, no Pittsburgher ever called a streetcar a trolley.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted a G in S.....I have a number of O and HO examples, and 1 n gauge. I didn't know about American Models and will head to their site after I finish this. I think a few of he 660 series aluminum cars strung out behind would look pretty good,

As to the 2 cars, I would be more than happy with a c-note for the pair but where to get it? I have an ad in Craig's featuring Lionel O, HO and standard gauge, various other HO items, AF, and haven't had a single call. My buddy has a few train and toy items on Facebook and he hasn't had a call either.

I didn't list the cars here because shipping costs these days are outrageous and when added to the cost of the items discourage a lot of people from buying, myself included. And of course there is this horrendous economic situation we are in, apparently only to get worse with the passage of a so called inflation fighter bill which I've heard features a tax increase for everyone. People are putting their hobby money into their gas tank and grocery carts.

I plan on trying to sell them at a local train show in September, or at the October TCA meet in York. I have a space in the Silver Hall and hopefully my numerous health issues won't interfere.

By the way, did you ever see the 1941 movie, Broadway Limited? It's available free on line and much of the "action" takes on the train from Chi town to NYC. The movie is terrible but has a couple of short scenes with trains, one in Harrisburg, and opens with a the dressed up K-4 at full speed pulling Fleet of Modernism cars.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Johnboy, if you are speaking of S gauge the only source of GG-1's is American Models. They are still available new with a warranty from AM for between $210 and $250 depending upon livery.Were it me I would get one new rather than try to save a few $$ buying an unknown used one. The two cars could be sold quickly for $100 plus $50 for the repair manual.
I imagine there are plenty of HO GG-1's to be had. same with passenger cars. The Gilbert cars are available for sale once in a while as well.
My layout models the PRR in the Pittsburgh area. No GG-1's because there is no catenary in western Pa. I was just there two weeks ago and visited the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. Only thing is, no Pittsburgher ever called a streetcar a trolley.
Just came from the AM site. The Tuscan g with shipping and tax would set me back $290 which is a bit much methinks when new in the box O gauge versions from numerous manufacturers are often available on the secondary market (train shows) in the $150 range.

Of course if I got full price on the books and cars my out of pocket would be half their retail but my actual cost remains $290.

But thanks to your info, I am now an informed buyer on the prowl in the secondary market. For me, perhaps the best benefit of TCA membership is the meets. I've made a number of unbelievable purchases over the 20+ years I've been a member and can't think of any instance of a seller misrepresenting what I bought. And of course with test tracks readily available it only takes a minute to verify running condition.

So now I can begin my hunt, which is half the fun! Any body going to York looking to trade a GG-1 for 2 nice cars shown above? :D

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The York meet and especially the pre York sales held in local hotels would be a great place to find what you want. S gauge engines from AM or Lionel will cost more than HO engines. I have not seen that movie.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts