Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm comepletely new to this hobby and I would like to know what is a good track to use for starters. I don't want to start off with an oval, and the space I plan on using is 10x15 or should I start off smaller? Also, where would be a good place to get the track from? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
beginner Q&A

1o X 15X is a large area, start small. Keep in mind the walking area and "reach" areas needed to work on the layout. No track should be more than 30" from your body hip as you reach. An oval is boring after a while, bring in at least one set of switches for decision making when running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like o scale. It is easier to model and I have fewer problems, derailments, wiring, etc. I prefer 3 rail much less complicated

·
Registered
289 Posts
For your very first layout I think you should start out with a 2' x 4' base and model in N scale using Atlas guage 80 and flextrak.
If you think that is too small try out a 2' x 8' base. You will be suprised how much you can do in that area with n scale. :)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I like o scale. It is easier to model and I have fewer problems, derailments, wiring, etc. I prefer 3 rail much less complicated
Most definatly, O scale rocks for those reasons and more... G scale is too big to make a decent sized layout, and then HO is too small for me... I like to have some bulk to my trains :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
10x15 might be a bit big for a first layout. Start with something a bit smaller and in the future when you are ready to expand your layout , you can just build a bigger base. HO and N scales are popular sizes for indoor layouts.

Good Luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts