Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably most of us have one favorite in our model train collections. Or perhaps it's on our "wish list" and not yet in our possession.

What is your very favorite train set (brand, model, etc.)? Or maybe it's a mixed set?

Also, tell us why you feel this way. What is it about one particular train (or a certain combination) that captivates you?

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
DJ

Kinda tough to hang the tag 'favorite' on any of my trains. Having said that,
I team a pair of DCC Bachmann GE 70 tonners as switchers. I enjoy seeing them
shuttle about my 2 yards and some spurs hustling cars into trains. They also
look good at the head of a long consist of mixed cars.

Another fun loco that I have, a DCC Bachmann F7 that heads my Santa Fe
Silver Side 'Chief' lighted cars. The fun with it is it's regular stops at my 3 main line
stations and backing into my 2 track Central Station.

For historical and fond memories, I bring out My DCC Bachmann Doodle Bug (Dinky)
we called it, with it's lighted heavy weight coach.
Missouri Pacific ran a similar Diesel or Gas/electric Passenger service
thru my S.Illinois home town back in the 30's, 40's and into the 50s.

The real workhouse on my layout is the DCC Bachmann GP that all by itself
will proudly head an 18 or 20 car freight as the 'antagonist' of the Chief
on my single track main.

I can't begin to pick a favorite...I just enjoy...especially when I have them
all running AT THE SAME TIME :D

Don

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Of the trains I have purchased myself, I would have to say my Lionel 2020 steam turbine from 1946. It was somewhat of a basketcase when i bought it. I had to completely rewire the locomotive and the whistle mechanism in the tender. I had to replace one of the drive wheels and I had to mount the repro trailing truck the seller threw in with it since the original was long gone after a hard life with it's first owner (I am the third owner). Because of all the work I had to put into it I like it a lot. It runs like a dream and I often call on it around Christmas time to serve as a backup locomotive for my public Christmas display at the Redford Theatre in Detroit. It brought back memories to many of our older patrons, and made some for others. One lady even asked to pick it up and smell the unique smell the old postwar Lionel trains have. My postwar Lionel 736 berkshire locomotive also did some running with the 2020 on the layout.

Of course my other favorites are the ones that were passed down to me from my dad, which had previously been my grandfather's, as well as my first train set my dad gave me when i was about 3 years old.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The favorites in my collection are the Lionel post-war 2033 (it's shiny silver paint scheme is quite sharp) and the pre-war 1668 (quite a screamer on the rails).

I also have a soft-spot for the good old 2037. Even if they were one of the most-manufactured locomotives in Lionel history, it was the first type I got to play with as a lad.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My favorite engine (and standard car arrangement in 1959) was the Lionel 637.

It is my favorite because this was the first train set my dad purchased for me Christmas of 59.

I'm sorry to say I sold it in my teen years! :smilie_daumenneg:

I haven't yet purchased another one.

I hope some day to buy another.

http://www.postwarlionel.com/cgi-bin/postwar?ITEM=637

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
This is real easy for me...my fleet of four 2-8-4 AHM Berkshires...cuz they are tough old birds that pull like mad. Then my sons Bachmann Plus 2-8-0 ATSF consolidated cuz THAT was his first day of 1st grade present...16 years ago...how time flys!!:D

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Anything PRR/PC/CR and Amtrak, because of my family history. I did get to explore the Buckeye Yard during the PC/CR years in the mid 70's and early 80's thanks to my grandfather who retired in 1976.

I do have a BLI PRR K4s #5356. I have a PRR official photo of my great grandfather (He was the conductor and retired in 1960) standing next to the #5356, all spiffied up. The picture was taken before the locomotive was scrapped in 1957.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The 2001 Lionel Santa Fe Freight Set (4-6-4 + 3 Freight Cars and Caboose) that my grandmother bought for me on my birthday. It was the first O-scale train that I had ever owned, and that made it the most special for me. She passed away last year after losing a short battle with cancer, but I will forever treasure that Lionel train that she bought for me nearly 12 years ago.

If you have seen my "Finally Found..." post in the other thread, you will have seen it (minus the operating log car...seems to have gone missing or I have yet to find what box that it is stashed away in).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine is a 1978 Tenshodo GN L-1 2-6-6-2 that is factory painted in the glacier paint scheme. It is one of only 600 produced.

·
Paper Shuffler Extraordinaire
1,611 Posts
Boy, tough call there. Toss up between the 1501s set (2026 loco, 6066t tender, 6032 gondola, 6035 tanker, and 6037 caboose) that was my moms, 2281w (2243 A+B Santa Fe F3, 6464-150 boxcar, 3361 log dump car, 3562 barrel gondola, 6560 crane, and 6119 caboose) my dads or my first set the Lionel Cannonball set when I was about 10. I still have each of them, a few pieces missing from the cannonball set (ATSF slopeback tender and caboose) so it's tough to say. Spent time locating missing pieces for the 2281w set and it's complete now.

Carl

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy one here,

My Ives Black Diamond Jr. set from 1928. It was my father's and my uncle's
before him.

Pookybear
I know we overdo this word, but, your train is AWESOME!

Ives made such wonderful trains.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have always liked the symmetry of a Hudson but I have a soft spot for F3/7s, stemming I think from being shown over one when I was about eight, the engineers really loved that loco. I have not put any of either on my new track as yet.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I know we overdo this word, but, your train is AWESOME!

Ives made such wonderful trains.
Thank you DJ,

The Ives trains brought me so much fun when I was little how could one ever forget
the simpler times of childhood. It is even nicer that the ones I had were hand-me-downs.

Pookybear

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you DJ,

The Ives trains brought me so much fun when I was little how could one ever forget
the simpler times of childhood. It is even nicer that the ones I had were hand-me-downs.

Pookybear
I hear you with "the simpler times of childhood." Things in this country are really going crazy these days. This makes remembering the old times much more enticing.

My main escape from our present insanity is my art, but my vintage Lionel set also helps a lot. I plan to build a special train table with models of all the nice things of my past (model houses, cars, etc.).

·
Registered
361 Posts
My favorite train is my Wisconsin and Southern 4003 locomotive (as seen in my username) is an Athearn rtr Blue Box. The reason it is my favorite is kind of odd, but very personal. I got it for my birthday when I was in the 7th grade, so 13th birthday, 7 years ago. I got it from my mom, who was unemployed at the time raising 3 kids alone on meager child support a month, and it cost quite a bit. It was just when I was getting into trains to, so it was my first one, and since I live in Southern WI, she thought my first train should be a local one. That time of year was very bitter for me too, because the divorce was finalized a year before 4 days before my birthday (I was depressed for a few years after that during that time of year). I was angered with my father for being the way he was to my mom, and how quickly he got remarried (he was engaged to be married before the divorce papers had even been filed, my mom petitioned)

Funny too, because I found out about him getting engaged (months after it happened, on X-mas. Happy times right?

Anyway I'm sure you guys don't want to hear about the drama right? This isn't a soap opera forum is it? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Anyway it's my favorite because it reminds me how amazing of a person my mom is, raising 3 children alone, on a very fixed income, and not having to leave our house. I had a very fortunate time which everybody can't say in that situation.

Here's to my mom!! :appl:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My favorite train is my Wisconsin and Southern 4003 locomotive (as seen in my username) is an Athearn rtr Blue Box. The reason it is my favorite is kind of odd, but very personal. I got it for my birthday when I was in the 7th grade, so 13th birthday, 7 years ago. I got it from my mom, who was unemployed at the time raising 3 kids alone on meager child support a month, and it cost quite a bit. It was just when I was getting into trains to, so it was my first one, and since I live in Southern WI, she thought my first train should be a local one. That time of year was very bitter for me too, because the divorce was finalized a year before 4 days before my birthday (I was depressed for a few years after that during that time of year). I was angered with my father for being the way he was to my mom, and how quickly he got remarried (he was engaged to be married before the divorce papers had even been filed, my mom petitioned)

Funny too, because I found out about him getting engaged (months after it happened, on X-mas. Happy times right?

Anyway I'm sure you guys don't want to hear about the drama right? This isn't a soap opera forum is it? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Anyway it's my favorite because it reminds me how amazing of a person my mom is, raising 3 children alone, on a very fixed income, and not having to leave our house. I had a very fortunate time which everybody can't say in that situation.

Here's to my mom!! :appl:

Drama, hey, don't worry about sharing your drama with this old timer. My threads are open to all until the moderator pulls the plug.

Peace to you pal and hopefully in time most of those bad memories will fad away.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Drama, hey, don't worry about sharing your drama with this old timer. My threads are open to all until the moderator pulls the plug.

Peace to you pal and hopefully in time most of those bad memories will fad away.
Hey, thanks it tends not to bother me too much now, I realize things are for the better now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The favourite is usually the latest one to be bought or built! But one that has been consistently high up the list has been my modified Hornby model of (UK) London and South Western Railway 'N15' class 4-6-0 No 30755 'The Red Knight' I read the linked story about it and was inspired to carry out the modifications to the standard model. It has been a smooth and quiet runner and is always out and about on the layout.
http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/hooker.htm

1 - 20 of 59 Posts