Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,207 Posts
I have too many favorites to pick just one.
I like them all. Especially dressed in CNJ colors. :smilie_daumenpos:

The widow maker always catches my attention.
The RS diesels do too.
But I also like the F model diesels.
I don't have a double ended diesel but like them too. Do they sell one?
I like them all! :smilie_daumenpos:

I can't pick just one, it would be like asking what kid do you like best.
I like them all the same. :smokin: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have too many favorites to pick just one.
I like them all. Especially dressed in CNJ colors. :smilie_daumenpos:
My favorite is the Howell Day Red Ball CNJ 4-6-0 camelback with five custom built Athearn CNJ passenger cars that once belonged to my long-departed father. Long before I was born my father rode the CNJ to work for several years, and he modeled the train he rode.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My favorite is the Howell Day Red Ball CNJ 4-6-0 camelback with five custom built Athearn CNJ passenger cars that once belonged to my long-departed father. Long before I was born my father rode the CNJ to work for several years, and he modeled the train he rode.
It would be great to see them if you have a photo or two.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hard to pick a favorite, but my Athearn SD40-2's in Burlington Northern livery, remain at the top of my list regardless of whatever else I may add to my roster. Although I really like my Athearn blue box Southern Pacific 1984 Olympics SD40-2 as well. Then there's the Stewart Alco C628, and the old Rivarossi GE U25C with the coolest drive system I've ever seen in a model locomotive..... Oh yeah, the pair of Stewart Baldwin AS-616's I just landed a month or so ago.

Yeah, it's too hard to pick just one.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
have to say i'm partial to my prewars. 225e and 226e.
all they ever ask for is a drop of oil and and a bump from the old zw. 75 years and still lookin good.
also my geeps lashup in command

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,207 Posts
Howel Day established what I call my local hobby shop in 1933.

http://www.themodelrailroadshop.com/history.htm

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's a pic of my favorite as promised a couple of days ago. It's a Howell Day Red Ball brass CNJ 4-6-0 Camelback with Athearn coach modified by my father to reflect CNJ configuration (four wheel trucks). There are several more cars to the train not pictured. This stuff dates back to approximately 1972 or 1973.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here's a pic of my favorite as promised a couple of days ago. It's a Howell Day Red Ball brass CNJ 4-6-0 Camelback with Athearn coach modified by my father to reflect CNJ configuration (four wheel trucks). There are several more cars to the train not pictured. This stuff dates back to approximately 1972 or 1973.

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
To say "All of them." risks sounding cliched but it would be true. Going back about 4 years found me looking at the sheer mass of what I had acquired and wondering if I could in good conscience face any hard times with my family without regret in regards to how much money it all represented. Coupling that with the reality that the dream empire simply wasn't going to be and that my interests lie in vintage trains and tinkering drove me to sell it all--and--give the proceeds to my best fan of all to spend where she sees fit...all of it.

With that I had an awesome time on Ebay for about 6 months getting a windfall return that still boggles my mind when I look at the numbers. Once all that was done, I was down to the models that mattered...ones I resurrected from junk, others that were awesome deals that filled a life long desire for a particular model, and gift ones...ones that have been given to me for one reason or another over the years by folks I've met online. It's a fantastically eclectic mishmash that would reduce Tony Koester to tears in one of his editorial dronings at the back of MR magazine. I now literally have no money in my collection with the return I received from that sale, giving me peace of mind as the country faces some pretty tough times. That more than anything makes them all my favorites.

A Mantua Classic 2-6-6-2 that came to me in pieces after it took a 3 1/2' header off of a layout, given to me for the price of postage with the condition that I do not sell it. All my pets have stories to go with them...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Shay. do you have any "before" pics? Either way that locomotive looks spectacular!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Shay. do you have any "before" pics? Either way that locomotive looks spectacular!
Thanks, I really like this one. It's one of the later Model Power re-releases of the old Mantua line. It runs very well and has a flywheel and DCC plug.

A far cry from what it looked like when it arrived...

The worst damage was the rear driver...I reattached it with JB Weld and re-quartered it by eye. There was some valve gear with broken rivets and a sheared crankpin I had to replace but it was in surprisingly good shape overall. I would place it in the number 2 slot of my "favorites" rankings...just after my Rivarossi 4-8-8-4 Big Boy...as far as work involved and the satisfaction of making a total loss run again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Great posts there, Shay. This is the type of thing I was hoping to see. Although all the other posts in the thread are also much appreciated.

I sure hear you when you write of hard times. Oh how much this world has changed since my wife and I started out back in 1969. It's like a totally different world. Our children are all gone from the nest and have their own lives well underway. We have our home paid for and like many others not much more. Investments gone sour, trusted plans failed, and business opportunities today are between a rock and a hard place, etc., etc. . It's kinda funny, I recall my dad retiring at 62 and never working again. Now people have to work till 75+. And so we could go on and on... . Well Shay, we'd best not dwell on this subject long or some moderator might spank us :laugh:

I owned a small but pretty impressive collection of vintage Lionel trains. Mostly due to downsizing in house size, they went to ebay just like some of yours did. We just don't have the room anymore with my art taking off we're wall to wall paintings.

Quality is better than quantity. A train that has meaning is better than a giant collection built mostly upon a shallow appreciation and/or greed. Right now I own only one vintage 0 Lionel set (early 50's). I bought it off ebay last winter and it's still packed away in those boxes. When I get time (I tell a funny) I'll make a special train table with model buildings, cars, trucks, places, copied after those of our married years. Kind of our little memory train table.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Well Shay, we'd best not dwell on this subject long or some moderator might spank us :laugh:
It helps when you're one of them moderators...I get a license to ill...:smokin:

Quality is better than quantity. A train that has meaning is better than a giant collection built mostly upon a shallow appreciation and/or greed.

That speaks volumes to what I've seen in the hobby these past 25 years. Sometime in the mid 90s I saw an MR cover shot that was filled with nice detail, but I soon realized that I could identify every product used in the shot--there was no original creative work there. The kicker was the guy in the shot looked like he needed to get some Ex-Lax...he just had this pained look on his face like he was trying to figure out a way to explain to his wife that new $1800 brass Allegheny he was running.

Back in '86 I went so far as to box it all up and toss it in the trash or donate it to a local club...I was just that sick of how it had ruled my life at that point in time. Now I enjoy it for what it is, a hobby, nothing more...grateful for the friends it brings me, the memories it brings and the occasional recalcitrant beastie that needs my scalpel...or hammer. :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
It helps when you're one of them moderators...I get a license to ill...:smokin:

Quality is better than quantity. A train that has meaning is better than a giant collection built mostly upon a shallow appreciation and/or greed.

That speaks volumes to what I've seen in the hobby these past 25 years. Sometime in the mid 90s I saw an MR cover shot that was filled with nice detail, but I soon realized that I could identify every product used in the shot--there was no original creative work there. The kicker was the guy in the shot looked like he needed to get some Ex-Lax...he just had this pained look on his face like he was trying to figure out a way to explain to his wife that new $1800 brass Allegheny he was running.

Back in '86 I went so far as to box it all up and toss it in the trash or donate it to a local club...I was just that sick of how it had ruled my life at that point in time. Now I enjoy it for what it is, a hobby, nothing more...grateful for the friends it brings me, the memories it brings and the occasional recalcitrant beastie that needs my scalpel...or hammer. :D
Shay, I've always appreciated your posts over the years (especially at Christmas time).

Yup, hobby addictions can get horribly nasty. My worst was treasure hunting. I wasted many thousands of dollars chasing an empty dream. And much worse than that I shunned the people in my life who really matter. At one time I had the addiction so bad I even slept with certain "treasures" from Spanish shipwrecks and various other types. I'd go to sleep grasping them in my hands or had them in coin holders in my bed...really sick! I just couldn't get enough of treasure. Almost all my dreams were of treasure. My wife said she could hear me talking in my sleep about rare coins, cobs, and relics. It's all gone now. Today I don't really collect anything. God, my wife, our children, and out grandchildren are the center of attention today. Stuff is just stuff.

Good chatting with you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lionel Santa Fe F3 Diesel AA Unit 1948 $ 1949

I'm looking for the User Guide of Lionel Santa Fe F3 Diesel 2033 AA Unit - 1948 $ 1949 since I'm having some problems with the horn and I want to fix it.
Thanks

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,207 Posts
I'm looking for the User Guide of Lionel Santa Fe F3 Diesel 2033 AA Unit - 1948 $ 1949 since I'm having some problems with the horn and I want to fix it.
Thanks

No need to post this question all over the site, go back and look at where you posted first.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The favourite is usually the latest one to be bought or built! But one that has been consistently high up the list has been my modified Hornby model of (UK) London and South Western Railway 'N15' class 4-6-0 No 30755 'The Red Knight' I read the linked story about it and was inspired to carry out the modifications to the standard model. It has been a smooth and quiet runner and is always out and about on the layout.
http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/hooker.htm
:appl:

·
Registered
325 Posts
My favorite would be the first train set I got as a kid on Christmas in 1982. It was a Tyco Virginian Tycoscene train set, it came with a cardboard layout and a steel crane. The train set had been in the attic for 25+ years and I had to work on the engine to get it running again. Just researching that and actually getting the engine to work good as new was an accomplishment that I liked. That was around 10 or 11 months ago...getting that Tyco running gave me the train bug bad and I have acquired quite a few engines since then (see my engine post). http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=19368

Thankfully I had some money saved up from selling a bunch of computer scrap (I'm in IT and had over 20 years worth of computers and parts) and I got in good with a local train store owner who let me shop out of his private collection. So I was able to build my collection rather fast without using any of my payroll money, which the wife was ok with. :)

Shaygetz and DJTrains, I would say I really like your insightful words about what matters most...I like my trains but I love my family and they certainly come first. Train collecting and working on engines has become a pressure relief for me at a time when my real life has been rather stressful. I do have to be careful though to not get carried away...thankfully though my 10 year old daughter is very creative and is interested in helping me build the "diorama" part of my train layout and will help me stay grounded.

Sorry for rambling but I felt inspired to by the last few posts.

Artwork of the Tyco Virginian trainset: tyco-virginian.JPG

-Trever

21 - 40 of 55 Posts